Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What were the factory colors for 60s & 70s Fender Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Apr 27, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Just curious...if I wanted to recreate something resembling an older jazz bass

what years were the pickup covers used? 2 stacked pots?

thanks...

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks...

if I want to get a vintage vibe with my (soon to be purchased) hwy1, I was wondering if 3tone burst would be better than the transparent crimson. I didn't see anything resembling the transparent crimson on the old charts.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    3 tone burst with a rosewood neck and a tortiose shell pickguard. instant vintage looks! :bassist:

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    sort of what I was thinking. Probably re-wire it vol (push/pull series/parallel), blend, tone (fender "no load" pot). Did they use the same type of knobs that the hwy1 use?

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Similar looking knobs yes. Have you tried the new Fenders with the series/parallel S-1 switch? I was thoroughly unimpressed with the difference in sound... not to say it was bad or anything. I didnt think it made much difference and I actually prefer it without the option. Just my opinion....

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I actually loved the difference in sound it made. One of the best mods (bang for the buck) for a jazz bass. Half the cost of even a cheap aftermarket bridge.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Stack pots were used until 1961 (the 62 "reissue" has stack pots, though).

Covers were supplied until about 1980.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what color pickguards did the burst normally come with?

I am thinking about white, parchment, black, or tortoise

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sunburst only came with tortise guards from 1960 up to 1974. Then 75-81ish only came with black guards.