1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What were your first impressions of the Low B string ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What were your first impressions of the Low B string ? I was wondering if I had issues with my volume control.

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    bwaaaahmmmm

in a good way

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I only play a 4 banger myself, but have at times thought of getting a 5er. Only, I was thinking of getting a 5er and stringing it EADGC. I tend to enjoy playing a higher notes, anyone have, or know someone, who strings their 5 string this way?

4. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I went, "oh this is unnecessary, sure playing the open E on the 5 fret.. umh...!" and asked my school if they would string it as a EADGC instead.. Got turned down :(

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I love it.

Makes across the board arpeggios and scales a cinch.

A lot of people say it's just five extra notes. It's actually twenty-two different notes (on a 22 fret bass) positions to play something. And I really love the fact that you do not have to go all the way back to the first four frets for one note.

6. I wondered what it was. :meh:

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    "eh, whatever."

(no offense to 5-stringers btw, 4 is plenty for me) :)

8. My first encounter with a 5 string left me really cold, but that was before I knew ANYTHING about music, I was just parroting tabs at that point, and nothing I listened to made use of a 5 string (of course, many of the songs were played in lowered tunings, but I never made the connection there, fool that I am).

Later, once I was somewhat educated, that B string became really, really useful. I wouldn't dare take a reading gig without a five string, because it makes things so much easier. You can play so much in a single position, no shifting (and no eyes taken off the chart) necessary. As was mentioned before, no jetting back to the nut for an F or F#, when they're on frets 6 and 7 of a BEADG fiver. If I'm playing with an established group, the 5 string comes out immediately.

9. blueskid

blueskid

Sep 11, 2006
    washington, dc
    i ditto this

10. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    It was a little lower than a C, and a little higher than an A.

11. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Thunderous! I was hooked from the first pluck.

12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My first impression? Love at first... play. The first thing, of course, was to be able to hit that low D; the added position flexibility came later. There's nothing on a 4 string that I can't do on a fiver, but the reverse is not true.

13. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Lower? Better.

14. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it but once I did it was so much easier navigating around the fretboard. Plus, I get to hit those really low notes in gospel and jazz.

15. Totally blew me away! I was lucky enough to live in St. Louis when the 5 string bass was 'invented'. While Jimmy Johnson is credited with the first one (the Alembic he still uses), the second one was Tommy Kennedy's Fodera, and we all got to check it out back in the 80's. While the Fodera basses were a touch 'rough' back then, the idea and tone just blew us away.

Shortly after, a local luthier built a line of basses called Apostrophe's, which, as far as I know, were the 'third' 5 string models. Al Caldwell got one of the first one's, if I remember correctly, followed by Eddie Van Halen, who played it on one of his early albums (can't remember which one, but it's listed in the liner notes, since 5 strings were so rare back then).

I was totally hooked, and when I got the money (which was a while after that) I had a 5 string 'parts' Jazz built by the same shop that did the Apostrophe's (Gravity strings in St. Louis). I never played a 4 string again!

16. My first thoughts and impressions were "What the hell is going on here? Is there something wrong with this bass I asked the sales clerk? Why is this E string so thick and so out of tune? He said "That's a five string bass and that thick string is a B string, it's not an out of tune E string". I just shook my head and quickly put the bass down hoping to never encounter another one like it. I thought it was the most screwed up instrument that I had ever played.:rollno:

At the time, I chalked 5 string basses up as nothing more than a ridiculous short lived fad that would never catch on. Once I pulled my foot out of my mouth I realized that the B string is here to stay and then some. Oddly enough, these days I play nothing but 5 and 6 string basses, go figure. One could say that I am quite fond of the B string now.:D

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.myspace.com/paultheriaultmusic

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The first time I played an Open B, I was at church playing a friend's bass into a Crate 115 combo amp.

Someone in another part of the church thought we were having an earthquake..

so yeah... love at first sight.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Kind of like 7 string guitars?

19. "oh my god I need this"

20. damn, I'm gonna crap myself.