Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by old_skool, Mar 22, 2002.

1. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK, I know Dillinger Escape Plan has been talked about here before but I finally heard some of their stuff...WOW!!! I heard the songs 'Sugar Coated Sour" and 'The Mullet Burden'. Are all of their songs similar to these two? They are frickin' insane! I can’t figure them out. Are they in weird time sigs. or just a crazy rhythm? And I thought Meshuggah was crazy... What’s everyone else’s take on them?
  2. Never heard them. Do they have mp3's online somewhere? After your description, I have to hear this.
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You could do a search for fan sites and see if they have and d/l-able songs. Other than that I just suggest that you find a p2p server and d/l 'em. Its worth it, bro. ;)
  4. I had a good amount of DEP on my computer, but then I listened to it. Got rid of it all. I can't stand it.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like Fantomas better.
  6. I like singing better than screaming. I like a good solid groove, not banging on instruments until sound comes out. I like harmony. Plus I had to play with a drummer that only wanted to play that stuff. I can only take so much of that crap.
  7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Easy there chief, I think I like it.
  8. I have one of their eps...crazy stuff. The drumming and guitar lines are so intricate, I think that's why I dig it so much. The "singer" can go to hell for hurting my ears, though. :D

Ooh...I heard they're recording (or have recorded) a new ep with Mike Patton playing and they fired their old vocalist, so hopefully he'll bring some better vocals and humor to the group.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    D.E.P. is one of my favorite bands! tufnuts, I respect your right to think it's crap, but I have to say they are a long way from just banging on the instruments until sound comes out! Oldskool, you might like to check out Botch, Coalesce, Converge, Bloodlet, and Himsa, to name a few. Smash has some cool stuff on his other mp3.com station as well.
  10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    sleepy time gorilla museum.

idiot flesh.

11. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    D.E.P are definitely pioneers concerning the whole 'mathcore' emergence currently going down in America's underground music scene. like FISHFED said, check out all those groups plus this one: Cave In. if you like Dillinger, man, these bands will take your appreciation of musical complexity to another level. a noteworthy tune is Botch's incredible hardcore take on the classical piece "O Fortuna" :)
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have to add Poison the Well to this list.