What will arrive from GC next week? ($200 used bass sight unseen impulse buy content)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tlite, May 26, 2019.

What is going to arrive next week?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2019.
  1. Something good

73.1%
  2. Something bad

26.9%
  1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You definitely made the right move with this bass. Congratulations!

lizardking837 and tlite like this.
  2. I have that exact bass.....(Well, mine has had a loving pampered life. Yours looks like it came from a broken home and spent some time living on the streets)
    But the important thing is that is a great bass and you will love it too.

tlite likes this.
  3. Here is mine with the rest of its brothers. Same color as yours just an extra string. Mine has a couple custom touches that I have added over the years...

3basses.JPG

tlite likes this.
  4. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    It is, but I’d leave it.

It shouldn’t affect much, and it’s a fun part of the bass’ story.

5. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    $200 is what it would cost for the relic job alone! I know some on TB disagree, but I like the warm tone of an analog bass much more than the brash sound of a digital bass. Good score!

lizardking837 likes this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Although I don’t hate the white pick guard, I’d like to see what a BWB does for it.

I have an Gibson LP Studio with an ebony fretboard that has a black guard and I changed all the hardware to black. It oozes class im(ns)ho.

tlite likes this.
  7. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    BWB on Midnight Wine looks awesome. It is one of my favorite Fender color combinations.

8. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    You know, you are both so right.

I had a rag and rubbing alcohol in hand to remove the "Analog" from the headstock but something inexplicably stopped me.

There might be something pure and good in just committing 110% to the point of view contributed by @electracoyote - embracing the "Analog Jazzer with the ultra rare Phillips head screw driver imprint on the fretboard" with all its glorious (and inglorious) character.

MCF and Old Blastard like this.
  9. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    Funny, I was in GC this morning and saw another MIM in Midnight Wine for $299. Pictures below for anyone interested. It’s got some big dings but seemed like it would play well. I didn’t have time to plug it in.

FBF3C138-67BA-467C-B90C-BADA45A7ED33.jpeg

54967BAC-1ED3-4458-992D-54B4675669E3.jpeg

10. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Looks in much better condition than the one I have (hard to go the other way). So far, liking the one I have (after setup- the neck alone had about 4mm of relief in it at first- biggest truss rod adjustment I think I've ever had to make). Definitely can be good having an instrument that is nice to play without worrying about the cosmetics. Let us know if you decide to snag it.

11. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    This is the reason that made my top 3 basses my favorites. Play the heck out of it.

12. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Good news all around. Your next steps seem wise.

As for the pickups, seeing them now, I'm pretty sure those big bars on the back are ceramic magnets. Still, if they sound good, that's all that matters. I still say this guy cries out for a series/parallel switch though.

13. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Not sure if anyone will find this interesting but I'm using this as sort of a practice bass to try repairing the finish and stuff.

I can keep y'all posted as things move along.

As an example, buckle rash when I got it:

[​IMG]

After a bit of elbow grease (1000 --> 1500 --> 2000 --> 2500 Wet sanding, followed by Meguiar's Ultra Cut --> Ultra Finishing Polish --> Scratch X 2.0:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still some dings dents and scratches, but cleaned up surprisingly better than I was expecting!

Those with a keen eye will note my attempt at color matching midnight wine with a mixture of $4 worth of nail polish I bought at Walmart. It's still curing so can't finish it up yet. It won't look perfect, but kinda in the ballpark I think.

And again- if I totally screw this thing up cosmetically, it won't bother me at all. I'm having fun, learning and stuff.

I may add the Series/Parallel switch, too. Not quite ready to move on to the electronics yet.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  14. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    I'm eventually going to post the work in progress stuff elsewhere, but preliminary before and after (just worked on the back of the guitar so far- not perfect by any stretch but better than it was):

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

Riverrunsred, MCF, ELG60 and 6 others like this.
  15. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
  16. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Damn! Great work!

tlite likes this.
  17. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice work!

Alot of folks seem to be in the mindset of an instrument get's a full refin or you leave it as-is, but just a little touch-up, etc, can often make nasty marks and chips virtually invisible in a live situation.

tlite, Ronzo and lizardking837 like this.
  18. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You do nice work. I have one or two that could use the Vanderbilt treatment :D

19. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Ha! Not sure you want the Vanderbilt treatment- at least not if you're a sports fan. That said, we haven't ended an SEC football season in last place since 2014... we've been next to last for three years and counting, but not last! Fun place to go to school and see great musicians, though.

Thanks for the kind words- that picture makes it look better than I think it looks in person, but I didn't need perfection and I'm OK with how it came out. I also learned a few things along the way.

Like for example, don't push too hard when applying polishing compound to a guitar finish with a drill...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    charlie monroe likes this.
  20. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I live in Buffalo. Between the Bills and the Sabres I think the Black and Gold would be a step up :D

murph7489 and lizardking837 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021