1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What will cut/dissolve yellow wood glue

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by superman, Apr 3, 2009.

1. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    I'm trying to find out what to use to dissolve elmers"yellow" wood glue,I have a bass thats had some seam repairs that need redoing,, someone had told me a vinager solution would work,, any ideas??? thanks Kent

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    White vinegar works fairly well, straight up. Soak a rag in it and apply to the affected area. Repeat as necessary. :)

3. I've always just used warm/hot water and a little soak time, but I'll have to give the vinegar a try too...

do you just rinse it with water to keep it from smelling like pickles? or just let it evaporate?

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Some white glues dissolve with denatured alcohol. One thing about vinegar is that the grocery store stuff is only 5%. I use a 30% concentration (used in pickling) that's probably faster. Cleaning the area with warm water afterwards is recommended!

5. You can probably get neat acetic acid from a chemist/drug store... that would probably be even quicker.

I'm going to have to try this, it would be useful in model aircraft work too...

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Wear rubber gloves and open the windows though. That stuff's really fierce! I used to use it to weld plastics when methylene chloride wasn't stong enough!

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    De-Glue Goo is a gelled vinegar solution that's really thick and gets rid of all kinds of water-soluble glue. And it's non-toxic.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    One word of caution from a non-luthier who learned this the hard way: The same stuff that will soften the seam will also soften whatever is sticking the veneers of the plate together.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    When it's stubborn, I use some ammonia solution - the clear stuff, not the green or yellow that has added detergents. Stinks a bit, but was the staple in the antique furniture business I was involved in for years...

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Vinegar works well. Several years ago I bought a garment steamer, which works very well when it's necessary to help a student whose glue-up needs to be reversed, to help soften wood for bending, and to help remove dents. :eyebrow:

If the project allows it, I will use hand screws to slowly and gently ease the joint apart while directing the tip of the steamer's hose at the glue line to soften the glue. I use distilled water to avoid the possibility of discoloring woods, like oak, with a high tanic acid content. Keep your body out of the line of fire - burns from hot water vapor can be painful. :bawl: