what will fit and what kind?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 14, 2001.

1. i'm looking to upgrade my SR-506 with a Bartolini pickups and a Bartolini pre-amp. Anyone who owns or knows a lot about the type of humbuckers (sizewise) i'm looking for that'll fit into my SR-506. And onto the pre-amp question...is there a way that i'll be able to put a Bartolini pre-amp in my bass without having to drill extra holes in the bass?...if you have upgraded a Soundgear or any bass for that matter, then please post a pic!
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Bartolini NTMB preamp should work fine. Volume, Blend, Mid, stacked Bass/Treble.

For pickups, I don't know if Bartolini makes them in the correct size. It would be safer to buy bar/blade pickups like EMGs or Seymour Duncans, so pole placement is no longer an issue for your string spacing.

IMO, replacing the pickups is a waste of money. You'll be much better off just buying the preamp and spending the leftover on a better bridge. Those Ibanez bridges are no good, imo.
  3. hey thanks a lot Angus...

what kinda bridge would you suggest would fit and sound good on my SR-506?

yeah, i've noticed that when i hit a high E on my C string, the E and A open strings vibrate and produce an annoying hum. That must be the bridge, right?...

thanks a lot!
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    No, it is the entire instrument.
    Any tone (or its octaves) will excite strings that have this tone or an octave) in their harmonics. If that is their 1st to 4th harmonic, you will definately hear it.
    This will occur through the air! But will of course be emphasized if the tone resonates with the neck, body or bridge, in descending order.
    There is only one remedy: muting technique.

A more soild bridge will primarily add to sustain and tuning consistancy. Which isn't a bad thing....
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wrong... this is down to technique. Muting strings you are not playing is a very important part of playing bass and even more so when you come to multi-string instruments. You can do this in various ways - right or left hand - but you have to do it!
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    although if the bridge is really crappy he may be getting rattle from the saddles. If it's just open ringing then yes, muting is the key.
  7. does anyone know where i can see the pics/specs/etc. of the Bartolini NTMB pre-amp?