1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what will flats do to my p-bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Sep 28, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i keep hearing about flats and im debating trying a set out.

now, im told they sound dead and muddy. is this true?

what types of sound would i get with my p.

i play hardcore, semi distorted stuff. would i still be able to get distortion.od with flats?

also. i usually play elixirs because i kill strings with my sweat. do flats die easy like roundwounds, or does that dead sound just naturally come from the flats, and remain that way for the life of them?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    also, what would be some good flats to try out?

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Flats have less highs, less sustain, and a very warm sound. I really doubt you'll like them for hardcore. Think Motown.

4. Get some wide wrist bands for the sweating. Both hands, and it will keep the neck from getting "sticky"

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ? i asked about flats, not about sweatbands

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Some flats can get a you bright flat tone with plenty of definition, for example sadowsky flats....I use Thomastik flats and they have plenty of sustain and brightness IMHO...

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    growl?

8. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
  9. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    yes, Flats can growl, but not like roundwounds...imagine a kind of warm bassy 60's stax/motown sound....The Thomastisk I use have more midrange than trad. flats and IMHO have a bit more of the roundwound growl...

Distortion, I'm not sure how this will work....

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    If your not sure about going directly to flats i would suggest as mentioned before to try either Halfrounds or pressurewounds. I love GHS Pressurewounds, they are eggshaped and nickelplated and they take away about 75% of string noise. After about 1-2 months they are, to me, 50/50 Roundwound and flatwound in sound and they are smoother to play then roundwounds.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    also. unlike roundwounds, that when they die, they sound like ****. these are supposed to sound dead? i wonder how they would hold up against acid hands.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Try to find a bass with flats to try out. You'll know whether or not you like them within a minute.

13. Flats will pretty much sound the same for quite a long time. They go like "thump" in the beginning and "thump" in the end :smug:

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

I think it was a friendly suggestion to help allieviate that problem.

15. fender flats work really well for hardcore, imo. especially on a BEAD strung P.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    TI-flats on my 1966 P-bass.
    My fav sound.
    Of all the basses I've owned flats work best on a P-bass.
    Just brings out true sound of bass.
    A Jazz bass, and musicman stingray, also sound great.

17. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Try em out and do what you feel like doing. Steve Harris used flatwounds in Iron Maiden(on a p-bass). Don't let anyone tell you something is for a certain kind of music.

18. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    As for the Mo-Town thing. That is just what they happened to used back then. It used to be that flatwound strings came stock on most bass guitars. So people got used to them. Thus making it the Mo-Town sound.

To best recreate what they were doing, it would be good advice to use what they were using. But if you are doing you own ****. Do what you want.

I encourage you to try the flatwounds with your distortion on your p-bass.. It might sound awesome!

19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Redlands, CA
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    i have an american standard p that i recently strung with d'addario chrome flats. i really like the feel, and the sound is pretty one dimensional but very good when i want to thump. then i picked up a tech 21 xxl bass distortion pedal and tried it with that bass. it just plain sings with that setup, very cool tone.

in short: p-bass + flatwounds + distortion = WOW

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    these are the types of things i like to hear.