Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what will give me a nice growl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flury, May 28, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    I have a 4 x 10 cab now and 350watt biamp head. I want a real nice growl sound. Not so much punchy bass. What speaker(s) should I add to what I have? one 15", two 10", two 15"...Im open to alot.

2. Probably a single 15 if punch isnt that essential....

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    what about a bowl of refried beans?

seriously......look for a good quality 15" cab.....heck, get a 215.

-Mike

4. a Doberman?

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Growl... I would try boosting the lower-mid end of your EQ settings and experiment with different round-wound strings.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I was going to say check your bass as well. If you have to buy speaker's to make your sound growl your in trouble and someone has told you the wrong way to go about a rig!

12's will give you a little more mid, but don't buy a cab hoping it adds something to your bass that isn't there.

Best of luck,

Brian

7. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    Ive been messing with the settings on my amp since Ive got my bass (in sig). It sounds amazing to the very little standards I have. I just heard that certain speaker setups give different results and named what i was shooting for.

Thanks for all the help so far.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Sure some speaker's will be warmer then other's and some will be clear and other's muddy or scooped just depending on the brand and the way they tune their cab's.

To achieve growl your bass needs to have it. MIA Fender Jazz should have some ok growl to it no doubt.

Hartke's are very trebly cab's, of course I'm think aluminum cone Hartke's, but even the other's seem pretty bright to me.

Keep in mind that a cab like SWR which is very scooped mid sounding cab even in a 12 or 15 might not achieve what you want. Different brand's again are tuned differently so keep that in mind. Best think to do is carry your bass and your head to the music stores with you and try different cab's.

Thanks
    Brian

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Did you consider a bass overdrive pedal. Leave your tone and volume settings as they are, adjust the gain and output level of the pedal to meet the volume of your "clean" sound and you're set

10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Get a Music Man, or a Warwick, growl city!

Peace
    -Ben

11. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    First off, set the action pretty high on the bass. Detune it a half/step. Turn the neck pickup down a little. I use Dean Markley Blue Steel med. strings. Attack that thing right next to the bridge and she'll growl all day long. I'm using a similar rig to yours right now, only i added an 18. Which I regret. Stick to a 15, 2x12, or even another 4x10.