What will happen if you use a bass effects pedal for guitar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Jun 23, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I know this is wrong to do. I have a friend who is running his guitar through a Zoom 506 II multi effects BASS pedal. can this harm the amp? Obviously, it's made for bass so a guitar should not be used for it.

What is the worst that could happen?
  2. +1 I have the exact same pedal and from time to time run it through my guitar it dosnt sound as good but it cant do any harm

you can also run a keyboard through it, pretty much anything with an output
  3. some guitar effects work fine on bass some bass effects work fine on guitar, no harm's going to come of either one, don't worry about it. i used to use my dunlop bass wah on guitar all the time, sounded great.
  4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Well, to get technical, there will be something. It will make some sound, if everything's ok !! :p
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    It's most likely that you will spontaneously combust.
  6. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    +1 for sure!!
  7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    it is like crossing the streams!
  8. . . . cross the streams . . .

. . . egon, i thought you said crossing the streams would be a BAD thing?
  9. The door swings both ways....

Nah seriously, alot of big time bassists use guitar effects and vice versa, I beleive the Morely Fuzz Wah was a guitar pedal origonally was it not?
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It could sound muddy. Most guitar amps/speakers are not designed to handle low frequencies well. This is why a lot of guitar pedals do not work with bass. They drop the lows by design.
  11. works fine. In fact I run a bass distortion pedal with my guitar because all the other guitar pedals don't give me enough bass!
  12. +1

Some day soon I will have a baritone guitar and I wouldn't want to lose any lows!
  13. The world could spontaneously end, but if so it probably wouldn't be related to the effects pedal.
  14. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Despite the majority of smart ass replies to an honest question, it was still answered. Cheers. :D *laughs*
  15. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I used my old Zoom 506 multi for guitar once. Had a way nicer distortion tone with my old Gibson/Epiphone Strat - through my old Peavey TNT 130 combo. Would have been great for a thick & chunky sounding metal band. :D
  16. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    Omar rodriguez even uses an ampeg svt -cl as a guitar head!!
  17. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i think he uses the dunlop 105q bass wah aswell.
  18. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    yewp that's true!
  19. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yup, I know a lot of guitarists use the Fulltone Bassdrive for this same reason. Another 'guitar pedal' that works well on bass is the Black Cat Superfuzz (see Beastie Boys, Sabotage).