1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What will have more volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nino D, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Nino D

Nino D

Oct 31, 2012
    Albany,NY
    Hi everyone. Thought I should get some expert advice before I try this. I want to run 2 cabs at the same time.A carvin 2 10 and an uber 2 12. Both 4 ohms. My streamliner 900 does not go to 2 ohms. But my swr 350 will .The manual says 400 watts at 2 ohms. Would the swr with 2 cabs be louder than the streamliner with just the 2 12?

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The swr with the uber 212 and carvin 210 will be marginally louder, and as bonus you can heat your house with the swr.

3. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    possibly (since you're running two cabs) however you'd really have to experiment to verify what sounds better to you. One thing to consider is that in many cases it's quite easy to change the impedence of a cabinet by a simple reconfiguration of the wiring, if you were able to convert each cab to 16 ohms ( it would seem each cabs individual speakers are 8 ohms since two 8 ohm speakers = either 4 or 16 ohms (depending on configuration), if this is the case (as it would seem) then you could set up each cab for 16 ohms so that when both cabs are combined your amp will see 8 ohms, the advantage is less strain on your amp, the disadvantage is that your Streamliners maximum power is at 4 ohms, if I recall the Streamliner does around 500 watts into 8 ohms which is in the neighborhood of 125 watts max to individual speakers versus around 100 watts max to each speaker using the SWR (which might run a little warm since 2 ohms can be tough on an amp) ...As with anything try different set up's to find what sounds best to you, hope it works out and have a great day.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    In my experience (and I think what the others are trying to say as well) is that although you CAN run the SWR at 2 ohms, it will run hot. Between mixing drivers (oy..... opening THAT can of worms) and running the SWR hot I would think the GB and the 2-12 would be your better option. Are you having trouble hearing yourself with that rig? I'm just wondering why all the fuss. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through when that GB and uber should sound great and loud together.

5. Nino D

Nino D

Oct 31, 2012
    Albany,NY
    It does sound great and is very loud the way it is. I'm just always looking for ways to get more power.But not if it might burn up the swr.Thanks.

6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Why not slave the SWR and 210 from the Genz-Benz? Effects send from the GB to the effects return (or power amp in) on the SWR and 210. Run both amps and cabs with the preamp of the GB?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    THIS

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021