1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What will i lose in terms of tone and clarity of notes, etc by converting...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird90DB, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    Im considering the idea of converting my active bass to a passive one.

Im unsure if ive got active or passive pickups or just a preamp in the bass, either way, i really want to know:

1. i have 4 knob controls, obviously some that control the active frequencies and all that, so if i make into passive, will some of them not work?

2. what will i lose or gain in tone by converting to a passive?
    (I actually feel theres too much power in my active bass, like my bass tone is so hard to control and dial in, i can do it so much more easier with my passive other bass, so thats why i want to do it)

3. my bass is a five string, will that mean that if i make it passive, will i lose clarity on that string as the active facility is clarifiying the notes?

many thanks again for everyones help and help of those on my other threads, (i know i ask a lot of quesitons!) thanks guys!

2. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    oh forgot to add, is the conversion process simple? could anyone whos never done it before have a go and be successful? im willing to pay for a shop to do it, and i know its the safest option (how much would it cost?), but if i did it on my own what would i need? soldering and an iron and wiring diagrams?

3. Helluvatim

Helluvatim

Sep 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    I actually just closed up my bass this morning from doing a passive conversion. Like you said, I also felt the actived were a little to sensitive,harder to dial in, so I made the switch. Mine was a P/J with Lace Sensor pups, with 2 stacked knobs.I picked up a Bassline P and J pickup, and started fresh.
    There a plenty of easy to follow wiring diagrams here on TB. Just get one for your application and start soldering, its a good learning experience if your new at it.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    What bass are you converting?

5. Thunderbird90DB

Thunderbird90DB

Dec 29, 2008
    Wales
    its an aria jbdx5 bass, superjazz style bass. ill get some pics up tmrw of the wires and pckups, and ill contact aria bout the pckups being active or passive.