what will i sacrifice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, May 22, 2003.

1. i am thinking of selling my SWR Goliath III 4+10 and getting 2 EA VL208 cabs. i feel that the goliath is a bit too much of a back ache and also it is 8 ohms so i am not really getting all the volume i could out of it. and i am not about to start carting another cab to go with it! so to the EAs. what will i lose? tried one in a shop and was like really impressed with them as a pair but thought with just one 2+8 cab it really lacked. i play double as well and thought maybe a 2+8 cab matched with my GKMB150 might give me a bit more for the louder double gigs. BUT i currently earn the dough from a function band so will the the 2 EA cabs cut the volume?
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I went from an Eden 410xlt to 2 EA VL210s. I gained clarity, articulation and believe it or not more bottom. I lost a little in volume which I got back with a PLX 1602

This probably didn't help a bit:rolleyes:
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    (smiles) the Eden 4x10 would be just as hard on the back-ache.

Have you considered the new Epifani lightweight cabs. IMO the neodymium magnet speakers are the way of the future.
  4. what are these speakers you say are the way to go? how are they different? are they generally lighter or just sound better?
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The deal is that the material they use for the magnet (neodymium)is 7 times more magnetic that conventional speaker magnets. So in theory you can make speakers much lighter and still get the same sound. The technology is still new so as you'd expect the purists are bashing the idea. The smarter folk are trying it and liking it......

So far epifani and Tech Soundsystems are the only ones to make commercially available cabs with this technology. Though people (myself included) have bought raw speakers and built their own cabs. My 2x10 cab weighs 19kg (the drivers each weigh a mere 2.2KG). Compare that to my Eden 210xlt which weighs 35kg.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah...........jokerj's thread from the epi shop is a great thred on the epi cabs
    i've only experienced the 310 ul cab and holy s**t!!!
    sounds great, probably as loud as a 410 and LIGHT
    like surprisingly omg light
  7. Where did you get the NASA speakers from Pete....I in Sydney too.......

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I got mine from Cannon Sound in Brookvale. They're actually the wholesalers so the speakers are much cheaper than they should be. The brand is P.Audio. If you think you've heard the brand name before, it's because their horns are used by Epifani. And you're after the "Super Neo" series. Click HERE for the online shop.

Otherwise, check out the Eminence Ultralights. You'd have to import them though.
  9. Pete, no "purist bashing" here, but it's worth pointing out to you that neodymium itself is not a "new technology". It's been used for hifi audio over the last 20 years, primarily for tweeters and dome mids. It's use for bass driver applications is a recent development however. It might seem like hair-splitting, but thought you should know.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks Oddio. I didn't know that. But I'm glad I do now coz it makes the experiment a little more "tried and true". I wish P.Audio made an super neo 18".........