1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What will music stores charge for bass rig rental for 1 week?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeeCup, Apr 27, 2009.

1. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    Upon hearing the very wise advice from people here, I'm going to play thru some amps tomorrow, then rent one for a week to see how I like it in the live setting.

This will let me play it for 4 gigs and really get a feel for how it'll work live. I'm worried something will sound great in the store but suck when I'm competing against a drummer on a loud DW kit.

What is the price to be expected, for a bass rig rental (probably a nice head and a 4x10 cabinet) for one week?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think that's what return policies are for.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Generally, they will only rent you specific rigs, you can't just rent anything in the store. However, your local store might be different.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    You'll have to contact your local music stores re fees on renting an amp from their rental department's stable of rigs.

Generally, the longer an amp is rented, the lower the rental rate. They'll also want a deposit too.

Don't expect to find a wide selection of rigs to choose from. Stores which rent gear typically stay with a limited range of equipment that's proven to be reliable and replaceable at minimal cost in case of theft etc.

As well much of it is already rented out at any given time. One can usually book gear in advance though.

However some stores will do rent-to-own deals on new gear on a case-by-case basis. In the past I've bought gear in this manner.

Developing a steady business relationship with a favorite music store is a good thing to do in case you find yourself in a jam and need a break on getting needed gig gear.

If a dept. manager feels that he or she can trust a particular customer, then they're more likely to feel comfortable with making any needed accommodation (which usually involves their going out on a limb somewhat).