Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what will take off tung oil?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steve-o, Jul 30, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am painting a body that i had tung oiled.
    what will strip it completly out of the wood?
    will acetone do this?
    will sanding work also?
    thanks for any help in advance

steve

2. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    I believe you'r on the right track...sand a little first to break the surface up a little (use coarse), then wipe down a few times with acetone.

DP

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    only wipe it down?
    i was thinking about soaking the body in it. bad idea? well acetone evaporates quickly so i thought it would be alright. and i want to make sure that the paint will not fish eye. if i jus wipe it down. will it do a perfect job? the tung oil has been on there a couple of months. if that matters.

thanks dp

steve

4. Tung oil is a film producing oil - in other words it hardens when it dries. The oil inside the wood isn't your enemy - it's what's on top that could mess with your finish.

Of course, Mr. Pushic is correct - acetone will break up the surface film and then just about any finish will work on top. In fact oiling before a nitro finish is one of the recommended ways to pop natural curl figure before clearcoating.

5. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    acetone is a strong solvent....it may also dissolve any glue joints and other things if you'r not careful! It does evaporate fast, and doesn't leave a residue if you buy good quality stuff.
    What kind of paint are you intending to use over the body? Tho lacquers can have a problem when applied over tung oil (especially if it isn't toally cured), others may not. And if it's been some months...the stuff should be pretty cured.

DP

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it doesn't have tung oil anymore it is polyurathane.
    if the paint is poly also what do i have to do?

steve

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would probably work better over in hammy's department, so off it goes...