Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What will the next major commercial audio format be?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexssandro, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Nowadays, a lot of people own MP3 players and MD players. CD's are currently the major audio format in the stores, but I was wondering if they might become obsolete in the near future and what they would be replaced with. I know I own a lot of CD's and so do a lot of people on this board (especially JimK). So I hate to think but what's next? :eek:

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think Cd's we remain, but I think they will be able to hold more data and might be more compact.

Mp3's are popular, but I don't think they'll take over, cause I think most music buyers (myself included) like being able buy an album, having something that is tangible and I can hold. Plus having the cover art.

Of course, all of this is my opinion. :D

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I own both a CD player and an MD player, and I have to say that CD's will be the dominant format for a long time. MD players are not easy to use, and they require you to sit and baby-sit them while they record. They do make systems that allow for computers to record MD's, but they are prohibitively expensive, especially when a CD burner now goes for under $100. MP3 players are now almost to the level of ease and capacity as CD's, but CD's still hold an edge, IMO, because you can burn a $.50 CD of music and play it in your car CD player, home stereo, give it to your friend, etc... Not so with MP3 players, whose 64mb storage cards are $70-100. And the final reason CD's will be the major player in media for the next couple years... almost everybody has a CD player! Thats my rant... how does everybody else feel?

4. The format of .ogg will succeed .mp3, especially if the SSSCA goes through.

I have a story on this at my mirror site: The OGG Vault .

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what about HDCDs and/or audio-DVDs.

i saw a report on them on techtv last week. very cool stuff.

6. Well I have been looking into this for awhile. HDCD is looking to have the majority of the support from labels and have more companies behind them. They are backwards compatible meaning you can play your current cds in an HDCD player but you cant play your HDCDs in a current player. DVD-Audio on the other hand Doesnt have quite as much support from the labels but it has a larger library already. DVD-Audio can be played in a normal DVD player (but you cant watch video that is on the DVD-audio wierd) wich is a big plus. On a DVD-audio player I believe you are supose to be able to play normal CD's. So wich am I hopping wins... DVD audio. I can listen to DVD-audio in my room the prices of dvd players for in a car are coming down. It will help put DVD playersin more houses, and i already have some dvd audio.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm still sticking with MD as a replacement for cassettes. I don't think it will ever be much of a force in replacing CDs, though.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    isn't tool's latest, "lateralus," an hdcd?*

and it works fine in normal cd players...

*it has the logo on the back.

9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yes, Lateralus is an HDCD.

To clarify things:
    HDCD's will play in any cd player, with the sound quality of a standard CD.
    You just need a HDCD decoding player if you want to hear it in 20-bit sound.

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I agree - either HDCD or DVD-Audio. By the way, maybe it's just me or something, but I personally think MP3's sound horrible if you're using a nicer sound system. Seriously, I can honestly tell an audible difference - they don't sound the same as a standard CD (as in, they sound worse). Anyone else notice?

11. I can hear a very distinct quality difference if the mp3 is encoded at 128 kbps or lower. With my current computer speaker setup, mp3s at 192 kbps sound pretty much the same as CD-Audio.

But in theory, mp3s *should* sound worse. A huge part of the mp3 compression scheme involves actually discarding all information in a certain frequency range (very high frequencies). Sometimes this can cut out some of the more subtle higher harmonics present in the original recording. Thus besides being compressed, an mp3 actually has LESS information in it than the original (normally in .wav format) recording.

Now back on topic: I think standard CDs will be with us for a while longer. After CDs go the way of cassette tapes, I think there will be a leap to HDCDs, SACDs, or DVD-Audio.

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    8-tracks.

Hey, everything else from the past is now returning and becoming hip again.

13. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Wow Audiophiles!!

Ha

Audiophiles - MP3, Geddit!!!

Oh well;)

14. I think when they put songs in an audio format, that can be played on present CD players, but can hold more, high quality sounding music, then CD's will go the route of 8-tracks. I also think though that until then, we will see a portable CD burner, that is actually the size of a walkman. If someone came out with something like that, then the whole concept of cassettes, and MD will go out the window. The only problem with CD's from the beginning was the fact that it couldnt be played while running, or driving a car. But now I have a cheap CD player that I have dropped from four feet in the air, and it hasnt skipped. CD's are a great media, because they arent too big, not too small, they are great quality, and they are easily portable. I dont think they will ever leave, but the will merely be improved to the point where they are easily recorded over, and can hold more info, so you can have several present CD's on a future CD.