1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What will this neck fit into?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I am currently planning on creating a FrankenP, and I need some info from you more knowledgeable Fender people.

Basically, I really love the necks from the Mexican Deluxe Special basses. They have the same 9.5 fret radius and similar neck shape to other P's, but with a slimmer taper, going down to a 1.5" (38mm) width at the nut.

My question is, what passive precision bodies will I be able to put it on?

2. No one?

3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    the nut width is irrelevant. the heel width/shape is what determines if the neck and body are compatable. if the heel shape/widht is the same then it should have no problem mounting onto other fenders.

4. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    ...and the number of frets is relevant as well. Don't try to swap a 21-fret neck onto a 20-fret body, or vice-versa. The bridge position will be off.*

*unless the 21st fret is on a fretboard extension or overhang.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    oh yeah, forgot about that:meh:

6. Yes, I am aware, of the fact that it is the heel not the nut width, I was merely identifying the neck in question.

Has anyone had any experience with putting a deluxe neck on something else? They seem to be identical other than the nut width, (modern c, 20 frets etc), but I'd really like confirmation.

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    cant comment on doing any neck swaps personally, but i do remember reading in a thread that one member had mentioned keeping the original screws/necks plate with the neck as theres potential for variations in screw size/thread size/thread count so it's best to keep the screws with the neck. seems logical to me.

8. Fair enough, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find matching neck plate pieces to fit the neck, thanks.