Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What wire for preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by berklee46, Jul 14, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I apologize in advance for what may be a really simple question:

I just re-installed the original preamp in one of my Status basses and found that a couple of the battery wires weren't long enough (must have been cut with other preamp) and I had to splice some extra wire onto them. I ended up using telephone wire, but it's a solid copper-type wire and not the thin strands like the original, but worked enough for me to confirm that it was wired up correctly.

I plan on cleaning up the installation today and would like to get the proper wire to add a few inches to these short wires. Is there something specific I should be using?

Thanks

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Use stranded wire instead of solid just because it is more flexible. For this application, the gauge of the wire isn't critical. I'd avoid anything too thick because it will be stiff and hard to work with.

BTW, if your installation is soldered well, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Nothing should be moving around in the cavity, so the solid wire should be ok. The only danger with the solid wire is that either it breaks or its rigidity cause the solder connections to break. Both failure modes would require a substantial amount of movement of the wires.

So, my recommendation is relax and enjoy the bass.