1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what wiring options do I have for PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mattpnolan, Apr 29, 2006.

1. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I want to put a P and J pup in a Jazz style bass, and I want to fill up all four spaces on the control plate so that I can put the jack on the side. I don't really want to put in active electronics, so I was wondering if there is something else I could do besides neck vol, bridge vol, and master tone. Thanks for all your help.

2. Series/Parallel switch, Phase switch?

individual series/parallel switchs can also be done if using pickups with 4 wires :)

3. How about a 3-way pickup switch in the 4th hole?

4. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    The series/parallel sounds cool, but it is going to take me a while to interpret all the stuff I've found on it. Plus, I haven't found anything that has 4 separate pots. Usually, they have 3, with the third being a push/pull. Thanks again.

5. Just use an ON/ON DTDP switch instead of a push pull pot (as all a push pull pot is is one of those switchs in a pot!)

What you could use is two sets of stacked pots Vol/Tone Vol/Tone or Vol/Vol , Tone/Tone, and then have two switchs, series/parallel, Phase or just a simple kill switch?

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    You could do Volume/Volume/Tone/Tone, or I'd do Master/Blend/Master Tone/switch for ser/par.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Actually, I plan on modding my SX again and turning it into a P/J bass, and I'll probably do:

Master
    Blend
    Push/Pull pot, with down being a normal tone control, and up being a diode circuit, a "black ice" kind of onboard distortion.
    Ser/Par switch

8. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey

What does a phase switch do? I can find things on how to do it, but I don't understand what it does to the sound.

9. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    That sounds very nice the more I think about it. It seems like having a blend instead of two vol knobs would be so much easier. Do you know where I can find a diagram to do this? Thanks so much guys. You have been way helpful! :D

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    In my SX, I used this diagram, but instead of a push/pull pot, I simply took the 6-prong switch from the bottom of the push/pull tone pot and moved it to the side, between the tone pot and jack.

JazzWiring2.

11. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks so much!!!