what wood body should I put with a flamed maple top?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mosh pit vocals, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mosh pit vocals

mosh pit vocals

Jan 25, 2005
    what wood body should I put with a flamed maple top? Would Walnut sound good with it? Cuz that's what I'm thinking of trying.
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Walnut? I don't see why not! I'm all for the "if it looks good, try it out" theory.
    there's always another to build.
    I'm building a guitar that has a flamed maple top and a cocobolo body (hollowed out, that stuff's heavy!) that I'm excited about. I just hope the cocobolo doesn't "bleed" all over the maple.
    I think the contrast of a light colored top (like maple) coupled with a darker wood body (walnut/mahogany) looks great, and sounds great too.
    just my 2 cents.
  3. Gotta agree there...
    I love the look of walnut and maple... beautiful combo, and you can get some really interesting mixes of sound 'flavours' with those woods. My experience (although limited) is that maple can really help to bring out some of the tonal complexities of walnut.
    I think we're up to 4 cents now :smug:
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Walnut or mahogany to balance out the brightness of the maple. That brings it up to $.06... ;)
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I hate to disappoint you, but.... it's probably going to bleed all over the maple. It's very hard to prevent with any kind of finish containing oils or solvents. The maple will just turn a little bit of a different color than it started out. Something I think most people can live with....

Addendum: no reason not to use Walnut. If you can get it, go for it!
  6. +1 for the mahogany
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Black Korina :D
  8. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Walnut (claro is good, but kinda expensive) or african mahogany.