What wood for my new neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Palomorado, Oct 31, 2004.

1. need a new neck for the old fretted Jazz and was thinking of getting warmoth to either make:

-Padauk neck with a Pau Ferro board

-Wenge neck with a Brazilian Rosewood or Ebony board.

which would you get and why?

feel free to make other suggestions as well.
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Wenge and Ebony. Why? Because I like them. Then again I like the other two too.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    What kind of sound are you looking for?

IME the padauk and wenge have similar tones, but the wenge has a drier sound w/ more compressed mids and more highs.

The fingerboard pairings you have will accentuate the differences - putting the ebony board on the padauk neck will push it towards the wenge neck a bit sound-wise.

Best necks ever! Cos I like the sound... =)
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm partial to Wenge/Wenge, although I have had two basses with Wenge/Ebony combination and they were very nice, and even better than some Webge/Wenge that I have had. If it was me, and I was to do an order like you were doing, I would opt for Wenge/Mac Ebony combination. I prefer the looks of the Mac Ebony myself, plus, the sound is very good as well.

I have read and talked to some builders that contend Padauk is extremely similar to Wenge but at a cheaper cost. I've never played a bass with a Padauk neck, so I can't confirm or deny, but if I were to try it, I would probobly try the Padauk/Pau Ferro combination which sounds like it has the potential to rival a Wenge/Wenge neck.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1 I absolutely LOVE my wenge neck...
  7. Thanks!

it seems as if either option is a winner.

as for sound, i am playing this bass in a modernrock/tool-meets-radiohead & bjork type band...

i actually play more fretless and Stick, but i need to have the fretted for a few of the tunes.
  8. Does anyone know paduak's weight in relation to Wenge? I know wenge can be pretty heavy in necks, especially once you figure in Warmoth's steel rod enforment and the fact that generally warmoth products are on the heavy side. Depending on the weight of your jazz's body you might want to choose a wood with balance as an important deciding factor.
  9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Padauk is heavier than maple, but not as heavy as wenge.

hard maple: 40 lb/cu ft
    african padauk: 42-51 lb/cu ft
    wenge: 50-60 lb/cu ft

Figures are in the spreadsheet at the end of this thread:
  10. thanks for the specs Peter. As for the thread starter, with paduaks weight in mind I would definitely go that route and invest in a set of light tuners as warmoth necks are heavy. My warmoth neck is a five string maple pau ferro and the quality is most excellent, that warmoth J is my main bass.