Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what wood is this ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Asaf, May 16, 2004.

1. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    Hi, i bought this bass a year ago in a small shop in Argentina for 100 $. made some modification to it (sanded the bad finish and refinished it, replaced pickups and bridge) and it really sounds nice now.

i was wondering if you can identify this wood (i think the origin is brazil)?

here are some pics.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Looks like either spanish cedar or some mahogany or mahogany-esque wood. There are a ton of woods in the Brazil/S.A. region that probably never make it to the US marketplace and are practically undifferentiable from mahogany and cedar.

I'd call it mahogany unless it smelled like spanish cedar when you sanded it.

Pretty nice looking Warwick knock-off for $100.

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    :D yeah, it has the dominique di piazza sound...

thanks man !!

4. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Cherry?????????????????????????????????

5. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    some argentinian dude helped me...but thanks anyway ! :)

6. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    Ovangkol?

7. I really don't think that that is mahogany. The visible distinct growth lines are what lead me to think this. Mahogany usually has a more red-orange color than that as well. Mahogany is a very porous wood, even more porous than that is. Or it could just be the picture. Having said all that, I have no idea what it is.

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There are lots of different kinds of mahogany, and even more woods that trade as some kind of mahogany (even though they are not swietenia - like khaya and phillipine). It does look more like spanish cedar than mahogany, but many lighter colored pieces of mahogany do have visible variegation. Anyway, we can all stop guessing here - the question has been answered above - it's a south/central american wood "Cerejeira" that rarely (I've never seen it) makes it to lumber racks in the states.

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve just discovered that one of my basses is made of the same wood mentioned in this thread. Just wanted to share a couple of pics.

10. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I really like that bass and was wondering who made it. It reminds me of my style of bass building. Very earthy and "organic" looking, I like the natural oiled finish and the simple controls. I also like the vintage type bridge on it.
    With all the instruments out there with flamed/spalted/quilted tops
    , multiple strip necks, gold hardware, inlays on top of inlays etc. sometimes it's nice to see a bass with a less gaudy, natural look and feel.

11. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    It´s made by a local luthier named Javier Lopez.
    You can check his web site
    HERE

12. Maybe is Guatambu, is a local wood

13. Are you THAT bored?:atoz:

14. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Holy resurrection !

15. I demand the original pictures :)

16. since there is already this thread, ill post my pictures so you guys can help me identify this fretboard wood. Look really nice and feels good in my fingers, but I forgot to ask luthier what wood it is.

Here are the picts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help

17. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    That would be wenge :)

18. i agree with scott, wenge, pronounced (wing-ay), looks damn sexy too

19. wow, I have always pronounce it like range but with a W instead of the R

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I always said wing-ay, but Chris Stambaugh says wen-gee so now I have no idea.