Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what wood should i use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleepwhatsthat, May 27, 2004.

1. sleepwhatsthat

sleepwhatsthat

May 27, 2004
    now that summer is here, i'm going to attempt to build my own bass from scratch. But i'm not sure what wood to use for the body. I want to build a jazz bass, very similar sounding to Fender Jazz basses. I'm thinking i should use mahogany or korina, anyone have some suggestions?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer the look and tone of Ash.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    For a more "Fendery" sound I'd think you'd have to go Alder or Ash, but personally I prefer Korina.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 :bassist:

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ohh, Nice Ash! :rollno:

Id say Ash body, with 5 piece neck, Wenge/Maple/Wenge/Maple/Wenge, and a Birds Eye maple Fretboard.

And Matching THG Knobs...

MMMM........Toasty

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    If you want a traditional Fender tone, then you might wanna use alder - it helps that it's one of the cheaper woods as well :)

Preference wise, I'd go with korina - If I had the time/resources next summer, I'd build one in korina :D

Jazz wise, you might want to stick with alder or swamp ash.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Saw this site in another thread yesterday... good resource

http://www.rampartguitars.com/Tonewoods.htm

As for jazzy, since most Jazzes are Alder, maybe an Alder body/Maple top will do... Figured maple, if you wanna be fancy ;)

Ash has more bite but is more harsh

Wenge in the neck would add growl

8. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    This is just what I was looking for.

How do these people account for the wide variety of within the same species of wood? Mechanical/pysical properties of wood comprise about 1/4 of my thesis and Im always astounded by the variation.

Heres a better site for mechanical properties
    PDF Link

Note- While the properties for the domestic species are solid - as in the experiments are consistent - the imported wood figures come from the literature. The testing methods here are not going to be the same, and therefore, the figures arent going to be as comparative and possibly accurate as the domestic figures for the mechanical properties.