Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What wood would you choose for a P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBoyLeroy, Apr 24, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about making a Warmoth P-bass that slightly resembles a Hoppus Bass (P-bass body, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders). My question is: Which body, Neck, and Fingerboard give the most bottom end while (a) Keeping the price respectable (read:as low as possible:D) and (b) Giving me some nice mid-range tone.

Thanks in advance,

_Pat

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    doesn't the hoppus bass have a jazz-bass body w/ a p-bass pup and p-bass neck?

I think alder is what you are looking for. You may want a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.

The painted alder bodies are $235, iirc, and a neck should be $150-$200 at the thrift shop.

3. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    If I remember correctly Fender says its a cross between the Jazz/P-bass neck. Therefore meaning that it is in between the size of the two. I'd either get a maple body or the already suggested alder. Those are your best bets. And on the neck, I would consider all maple instead of maple neck and rosewood fretboard. But maybe thats just because I thinks its prettier.