1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The_D, Apr 12, 2006.

1. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Ok guys here is a bass design me and my mate worked on.......

FinalBass-LoRes.

Now remember I am the one who plays Bass and my mate is a graphic designer. I sent some pictures of basses I liked the look of to him and he designed a few. I liked some of his ideas so I picked bits from each I liked. I think to avoid neck-dive I will have to reduce the lower horn a bit, so the design is flexible but what woods should I use. Which woods do you guys prefer working with?

2. well, what it looks like at the moment for that one^ is mahogany and maple...

I really like the look of Walnut and cherry... walnut is a really dark brown, while cherry is a bit darker than maple...

both of those are with an ebony fretboard...

um... im sure there are some really expensive woods we could list off, but i dont really see a point... i like how it looks now...

oh, you could put a spalted or burled or quilted or figured top on those sides.... theres alot of maple in those catigorys...

you could just get that maple, then laminate it on your other piece, then plane from the other side to get the size exact...

the lower horn needs to be adjusted.... as well as the upper if this is drawn to scale...

the upper horn should come to the 12th fret... if this is to scale (which im partway guessing it isnt) than you need to fix it, or you'll have neck dive... (i think... or your head may just explode, i cant remember wich)

the body contour looks nice though... i could really digit if it came out looking that nice!

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I agree with bassman, your going to have to bring that upper horn to at least the 12th fret.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Your last three frets are completely useless, due to insufficient treble-side cutaway. Better look at that shape again. :)

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Extend the top horn, allow access to the top frets at the bottom horn and put a redwood top on a mahogany body.:hyper: