1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    having troble picing a main body wood for my shopclass bass. keep in mind this isn't special tonewood or anything, just made from average lumber. the i want a sound that is great for slap, but can also get a sound simalar to joe principe of rise against.
    options:
    1. black walnut
    2. hard ash (trying to fing swamp ash:rollno:)
    3.hard maple
    4. soft maple

top is a different story and still under debate

2. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Ash with a pre-amp. Or any with a pre-amp.

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    don't know that much on electronics. want to make it good with that stuff. will work more into it when i get around that step.

4. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    how would it work with black walnut? the woodshop has a ton of it on hand, and sell it cheap for student projects. pros? cons? it isn't my top choice, but it is currenly most avalible. this is my first build, and there is plenty of oppertunity for me to screw up.

5. Now i believe that,what ever sound will get from your black walnut, u can "make it" perfect for slap with a pre-amp like allenhumble said. Use black walnut, and don't worry :) Wilser is using it (if im not mistaken) and his basses are slap machines.

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    thanks if maple and purle heart look to odd on top of walnut, there are pits and pieces on the boards with figuring. could make a half decent bookmatch top.