Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, Mar 7, 2002.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    what wood should i use if i dont wanna put a truss rod in.
    later
    Lukas

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Graphite. ;)

(For you who have been following the Peter Duncan versus the world debate lately...)

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why would you not want to put a truss rod in?!

No truss rod does NOT mean stablility!!!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A neck made of wenge or wenge & purpleheart, if designed carefully for the amount of relief that you want, could be made without a trussrod.

However, being wood, it is subject to moisture and temperature changes, and will probably need adjusting occasionally.

Despite what certain person(s) have posted here, truss rods are not a liability. They are in fact a very good idea, no matter what the neck is made of.

If you had a bass manufactured for yourself with a 5 piece wenge/purpleheart neck, and it was done properly and had action to your liking, what if you ever decided to sell the bass? Not everyone likes their necks set the same way. If there is no truss rod, the relief(or lack thereof) that is manufactured into the neck is what you get.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey ashton

Sounds like a cool idea, but, just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for NOT wanting a truss rod? I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm just curious. It seems to me that putting a truss rod in would make the most sense, but I've been proven wrong many many times before. Once a poster told us of how he made a bass without any volume or tone controls. I, of course, said "What? A bass without a volume knob? You're mad, man!" He made some very good points and I ended seeing his point of view.

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well the major fact is that im building this at school and im lazy, just wondering if i could get away with no truss rod.

if i have to put one in can i just use a steel bar or 2, or would i have to get a REAL truss rod.
    later
    Lukas

7. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    im sure ya need a real one..heh

stew mac might have some

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    stew mac was the first choice...the second choice is being real lazy and buying a whole neck from warmoth :D
    later
    Lukas