Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What woods would you want for a custom hollowbody bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 28, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you were designing a bass with a Luthier what woods would you go for in its wood selection?. Does anyone have expirence with Swamp Ash used for a body wood on a hollow body?. Thanks

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh man, what are you looking to do now, Kevin?! For me, it depends on the shape and finish. I'm most likely go with Mahogany or Maple, for a more traditional look on a Gibson/Lakland-ish shape.

3. MAJOR METAL

Hi Adron

I am looking to shed a few more basses and go with the plan i had worked on for a custom violin bass to be made to my specs.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Masonite, man....masonite! :bassist:

:D

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I'd go for European Pine for the top, and flame Maple for the sides and back. And finished with old-style varnish.
    Also, that bass ought to have f-holes.
    And Ebony fingerboard, on a Maple neck.

6. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    For a violin-style bass, I'd most definitely go with VERY flamey maple for the back and sides, then. I'm not sure about the top. Maybe maple as well, or some bear-claw spruce might be interesting.

7. MAJOR METAL

Yeah i am giving more thought to a maple body.

8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    In my experience with guitars, maple gives a lot of fundamental; not so much of the other jangly stuff. The tone is more "forward" and less complex (think about most archtop versus most flattop guitars). Once you put pickups on it, though, I don't know. Some of the qualities of maple, like a fast attack (or lack of bloom, if you will), will translate in the pickups, but the subtleties won't. A good builder can build around that anyway. I think, altogether, that it matters less than you'd think, past how it looks.

My archtop has bigleaf on the back and sides, Euro-spruce on the top, and it's just awesome to look at. It'd be nice on a bass.

9. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I think Kelly's dead-on about the sounds, judging from my experiences working with a playing acoustic guitars. I'm going to have to agree, as well, as to how much of the tone will be translated into the pickups. I think it will depend on how resonant the body is, the type of bridge you go with, and if you're going to have a center block, or completely hollow.
    BTW, for some FANTASTIC acoustic guitar playing, check the link in Kelly's signature. I'd LOVE to hear some more from you when you get things done, Kelly!

10. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    **blush**

11. MAJOR METAL

The Hofners have a Euro Spruce top!

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Harvey Citron and Jerzy Drozd both offer hollowbody or semi-acoustic basses with cedar bodies and spruce tops.

13. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Hi,

I had a hollow-body Mahogany neck-through Turner with Rosewood back and sides and a Red Cedar top that sounded amazing. I also like the more common combination of a mahogany back with a maple top ala Lakland Hollowbody.

George

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'd go with the crowd on this one. Spruce top, Maple back and sides, like Hofner and countless DB makers do. Hard to go wrong that way, IMO.

15. MAJOR METAL

Whats the tonal diffrence with a spruce top as opposed t a maple top?

16. I'd look at maple sides and back with a spruce top or all mahogany and I'd talk to the luthier about it.