What words or slang bug the hell out of you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powerslave, Mar 24, 2005.

1. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    Has anyone noticed that people say 'stellar' a lot more just recently, like it's cool to say it whenever possible, even when it just does not work (not to offend anyone who is saying this on a regular basis) it's just seems to be one of those 'hip' words now, and god it just bugs.

I say 'killer' all the time and people always burn me for it. (and I admit, it's really 80's)

what word do you say that people rag you for, or vise versa- what are things that people say that bug you?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I can't stand that whole thug lingo. It just sounds idiotic.
  3. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's all good, bro!
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Anything from MTV and overplayed music really.Yeah, you're cool, you're copying the same thing fourty million other people are copying...
  6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Any adjective with -@$$ tacked onto the end.
  7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Crunk...I hate that word. Me and some friends were talking about this word, trying to figure out it's origin. Here's my theory, I think it is a past tense form of crank. Instead of cranked, somebody said crunk, because it worked in rhyme better. I thought it was rather insightful, but my friends just laughed at me. You guys follow my reasoning, right...
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I can't stand the word "crisp" when its used to describe a liquid. I also hate the word "loaded" when describing the options something comes with-I particularly dislike it when people say their bass comes "loaded" with so-and-so pickups....

Oh, and that Jimmy Durante "Hotch-cha-cha-cha-cha" thing is terribly annoying to me as well. Don't know why.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    All that 'gangsta' talk annoys the crap outta me. And people who use the word 'random' too much, to the point where what they're saying doesn't make sense anymore.

10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "Hella" Can't stand that.

Also, I don't like when people tack on "yo" at the end of a sentence...something about the deliberateness of it or something.

brad cook
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    'cool', 'daddy-o' 'groovy' 'down' etc.

I can't stand those damn smug beatniks
  12. i don't mind gangster talk, as much as those people who mispronounce words like there but pronouncing them thurr.
    they prove to darwin that it was only a theory...
  13. I have many pet peeves, but the worst i find is when people ask me 'hey whats up' or 'sup' or any other way to say it.... I don't know but when i have a guy come up to me and say hey, whats up i never exactly know how to respond. Especially when they say it when they know exactly what is up! For example, at school i'll be reading and they say it i'm always like uhhh reading what does it look like?! I would also like to point out i am not the only young female who feels this way! I personally much prefer the old aged 'hi, how are you?'
  14. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    +1 on "hella." Even worse are the local teenagers saying,"hecka."

My friends rib me for using slang that's older than anyone we know, i.e. 23 skiddoo, voe-dee-oh-do etc. I have to admit, it does sound silly, but then, that's why I like it.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    very unique

it's a phenomena
  16. I really hate hearing "whatever". ie "No, the sun does not revolve around the earth" "Whatever" And I often get ragged on by my friends for saying things like "OMG" or "that's uber leet" and "you're a noob" The way I see it, it's not my fault 1 r t3h pwn :ninja:

edit: I forgot about when people write your instead of you're and vice versa. :spit:
  17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    When people are leaving, and they say "I'm outtie", or "I've gotta bounce." People who say that should be drug out in the street and shot.
  18. I hate when people say "my bad",
    That just drives me nuts.