1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would a mint 60's Stratocaster go for?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jul 25, 2012.

1. I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow not too long ago(maybe some of you saw it too) and a guy had an early 60's (can't remember exactly what year) Stratocaster that he was getting appraised. It was in great shape and had the original case and paperwork.

I don't know anything about guitar pricing but the appraiser gave him a value of between $18,000-20,000. Seemed like a crazy figure to me. If a '62 P Bass in great shape goes for about $3,500-4,000 how could a guitar that would definately have sold more units then a bass been worth so much more?

2. if you find a 62 P bass in great shape for $3500 - $4000, let me know! The ones i've seen go for about $20,000, I saw a jazz for sale for even 30,000, though im not sure if that one was actually sold

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Those appraisers are pros at what they do. They really know their stuff.

Most likely the Strat is more collectable and sought after..

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    $20k for a mint early 60's Strat seems pretty low by today's collector prices. I'd have expected closer to $30 or higher depending on the year, condition, case, extras, etc.

5. Oh I didn't know that, i'm going off of some prices i've seen here at TB for nice early 60's P's.

6. Just saw a mint '61 pbass on sale at Sam Ash(formerly Manny's NYC) for 10k...the CBS era '65 next to it was a mere 6k...what a bargain!::end sarcasm::

7. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    The entire purpose of designing the Strat and Tele the way they were was to be inexpensive. No matter how old it is or who played it, it's still a production piece of inexpensive sound toolage. I don't understand why anyone thinks any of them are worth that kind of money.

And a plague on those who buy them and put them in acrylic cases on display. A former bandmate has a room full of high-priced vintage guitars, and he plays every one of them like they're $150 pawn shop specials. He also finds the worship of these instruments ridiculous.... what's the point of having a great tone of nobody is ever gonna hear it?