1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would an Audere pre do to a '93 MIM jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by akuma12, Oct 19, 2006.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I've been considering doing some upgrades to my 93ish MIM Fender Jazz, and I've heard a lot of good things about the Audere preamp. I really enjoy the sound I get out of my bass, but I think at times the tone is a little too harsh for certain applications. I feel like the Audere might give me a few more tone sculpting abilities as compared to the stock Vol/Vol/Tone knobs.

Would this preamp work well with the stock passive pickups that are currently there, or would new pickups help as well? I like the sound of the new Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups that are on the Fender American Deluxe's, but I don't know if I would loose that passive sound when I want it. I've listened to the samples on Audere's website, but unfortunately they didn't have any "control" samples of a bass before the upgrade, so it's hard to tell the difference. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

2. Q: What would an Audere pre do to a '93 MIM jazz?
    A: Wonders!

I read somewhere that Audere works best with passive pickups.

3. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, reading closer on Audere's site, they only work with passive pickups. Are the fender SCN's active or passive? It doesn't explicitly say on their description.

4. most Fender pickups are passive ;)

thinking about it, did they ever make active pickups?

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ??

i have the JZ3 on my American Series Jazz .

if you want the vintage tone , this may not be for you .
    the tones are kickin' , smooth and crunchy at the same time ...
    but not what i would call vintage sounding , imo .

the JZ3 is designed to be used with passive pickups , and i have a set of
    passive Lindy Fralin's on my bass ...

the main gripe i have is the installation of the 9v. battery , it's a little tricky , but it can be done ...
    here's a couple of shots :
    bass-16.gif

new-26.gif