1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would be a fair price for this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you got it in the $800-900 range including shipping, you'd probably be doing OK.

Chas

2. If you get it for 500 or so I'd say it was worth it, but I personally wouldn't pay 800-900 bucks. I was excited to see one, used, the other day at guitar center. I plugged it in and cranked it up, and to my surpise it wasn't that great, i was let down.
    If you like tube amps, I think you could find something with more power than 300 watts for that much money. I see mesa-boogie 400+'s go for that amount, or just a little over sometimes. And those, my friend, will blow that ampeg away!

3. I'd say $750-800 would be a reasonable price for one of those in prime condition. That one looks clean. Don't be fooled by Mesa's advertising on the 400+, it's not any more powerful than the SVT. 6l6s are good for an absolute maximum of about 25W (and most won't give you that), so the 400+ is at best a 300W amp. It doesn't really matter, I guess, because it is a really loud amp. I wouldn't say that they blow away SVTs either. The two amps are totally different beasts.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I personally wouldn't pay more than about $100 for one because I don't think they sound that great.

But if you look at what the sell for used and in good condition, you'll pay, including shipping, $800-900.

I would add that while I prefer the tone of the Mesa, it is no louder than an the SVT.

Chas

5. Well at this point I'm just 36 hrs away from winning the bid on a SVT-2 Pro in pretty clean condition for only $500. Wish me luck.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Until somebody bids $510 - probably 5 minutes before the close! ;)

7. To be honest, I saw it there and just put down a rather small proxy bid just to see what would happen. Don't get me wrong, I think that an SVT-2 for 500 bucks or so is worth buying. But, if someone out bids me it really won't bother me at all.:D

8. This is the only way to operate on ebay. I set my maximum price for something, if I win I win, if it goes above my maximum price, so be it. lots of people get caught up in the bidding wars and end up paying too much. Some people would argue that it's a ripoff, but I just say "caveat emptor." It's only a ripoff if you allow yourself to be ripped off.
    Hope you win it though, they are great amps if you dig the Ampeg tube amp tone!:D

9. mccoyblues

mccoyblues

Sep 24, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    Well, I love my SVT II and I hope you win the bid. If you get it for anything close to $500 I would consider it a good deal. You said shipping was INCLUDED. That alone is worth about $80.00. Those things are a 100lb beast so packing and shipping the thing will be expensive.

mccoyblues

10. I check with the seller and he check with UPS. $58.00 ground. I can live with that.