Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would be a fair price for this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you got it in the $800-900 range including shipping, you'd probably be doing OK.

Chas

2. If you get it for 500 or so I'd say it was worth it, but I personally wouldn't pay 800-900 bucks. I was excited to see one, used, the other day at guitar center. I plugged it in and cranked it up, and to my surpise it wasn't that great, i was let down.
    If you like tube amps, I think you could find something with more power than 300 watts for that much money. I see mesa-boogie 400+'s go for that amount, or just a little over sometimes. And those, my friend, will blow that ampeg away!

3. I'd say $750-800 would be a reasonable price for one of those in prime condition. That one looks clean. Don't be fooled by Mesa's advertising on the 400+, it's not any more powerful than the SVT. 6l6s are good for an absolute maximum of about 25W (and most won't give you that), so the 400+ is at best a 300W amp. It doesn't really matter, I guess, because it is a really loud amp. I wouldn't say that they blow away SVTs either. The two amps are totally different beasts.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I personally wouldn't pay more than about $100 for one because I don't think they sound that great.

But if you look at what the sell for used and in good condition, you'll pay, including shipping, $800-900.

I would add that while I prefer the tone of the Mesa, it is no louder than an the SVT.

Chas

5. Well at this point I'm just 36 hrs away from winning the bid on a SVT-2 Pro in pretty clean condition for only $500. Wish me luck.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Until somebody bids $510 - probably 5 minutes before the close! ;)

7. To be honest, I saw it there and just put down a rather small proxy bid just to see what would happen. Don't get me wrong, I think that an SVT-2 for 500 bucks or so is worth buying. But, if someone out bids me it really won't bother me at all.:D

8. This is the only way to operate on ebay. I set my maximum price for something, if I win I win, if it goes above my maximum price, so be it. lots of people get caught up in the bidding wars and end up paying too much. Some people would argue that it's a ripoff, but I just say "caveat emptor." It's only a ripoff if you allow yourself to be ripped off.
    Hope you win it though, they are great amps if you dig the Ampeg tube amp tone!:D

9. mccoyblues

mccoyblues

Sep 24, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    Well, I love my SVT II and I hope you win the bid. If you get it for anything close to $500 I would consider it a good deal. You said shipping was INCLUDED. That alone is worth about $80.00. Those things are a 100lb beast so packing and shipping the thing will be expensive.

mccoyblues

10. I check with the seller and he check with UPS. $58.00 ground. I can live with that.