Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would be a good accent to my Sunn 300T and 215 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'm lookin' for some cab to, "accent" (I guess that'd be the word) my Sunn 215. I love the cab, but the mids and hi's just aren't there for me. I figure that the best way to go in this case would be a 210, but what would ya'll suggest. I've even kinda (jokingly) considered the Sunn 410H since it'd sound killer and would stack evenly since the two cabs are the same width and depth, but I can just see myself havin' to buy a step-ladder to be able to adjust my amp:p

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - with a 2x15 on the bottom, a 4x10 would make it a skyscraper! I'm going to venture a guess that you got the 2x15 because you like a really strong bottom octave. I use an Eden 2x15 on the bottom (though you should note that it has a tweeter horn so it provides plenty of treble, too) and a Carvin 2x10 (also with a tweeter) on top to fill out the upper midrange. It gives great balance - but then the Eden's lower midrange is pretty good. I don't know how the Sunn compares. If it has a decent lower midrange, you might do just fine by adding a 2x10, as I have. If the lower midrange is really weak (or you really want a LOT more midrange output), then you might go with a 4x10. Hoisting a 4x10 atop the 2x15 might not be fun, though, and you'd probably want to put the amp head on a chair or stand next to the speakers!

Maybe you should arrange to try out a 2x10 or 4x10 with your rig - bring your stuff into a music store and try both to see which sounds better.

- Mike

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hehe....I would like to see the stares that I would get from that monster;):D

Honestly, if I was a better player and actually in a band that could be going somewhere, I might actually purchase the 4x10. BUT, since I'm not in any band whatsoever, the need for that kind of power just isn't there (although it would be awesome to have;)). I'm gonna check out the Carvin 2x10. I forgot about them. The main thing I want with the 2x10 is one that sounds good (obviously:p), and fits atop the 2x15 evenly enough that I can still put the head on top of it. The head would be right at eye level if it's on top of the 2x10, so that'd be just perfect:D

4. The perfect accent? A pair of handtrucks. :)

I only use big old style stuff, so I'm just kidding around.

I go for that no-treble sound you're hearing. The older I get, the more I turn down the treble for that Jimi Hendriz live sound, where you can barely even tell what notes are being played.

Chris

5. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    I'd wait til you're actually playing with some people before you decide on what kind of cab to get. You may find that the deep sound of your rig sounds sweet... I'd trade that for my rig in a heartbeat.g

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Casters my friend;)

However, notduane keeps telling me that I need to persuade my parents to replace the window in my bedroom with a loading ramp (we are in the process of remodeling right now).

I'm really not too crazy about the lack of mids/treble. The lows are incredible, IMHO, but I really can't get that good of a slap sound out of it, nor can I get a good J growl out of it. I'm pretty sure that with either a 2x10 or 4x10 (yeah right:p) I'd be able to get the perfect sound out of it.