What would be a good audition piece?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Hey there,
    Sorry if this is teh wrong section.
    Anyway, I'm applying to a good few universities and music colleges to do a music degree, but first of all I need to get through the audition. Seeing as these almost all incorporate a free-choice piece I'll need to play, I was wondering if anyone's got any suggestions of a solo bass (or piece I could play on my own, basically) piece I could play?

If it requires looping or whatever I've got a DL4, but I've been looking so far at other, non-looping songs. My bass teacher gave me Bach's "Partita #1 in B Minor", but I'm not a huge fan of it. I've already learnt his Cello Suite No.1, but only the Prelude element of it. I really, really can't stand (the majority of) Jaco Pastorius stuff, so I'd rather not have to dedicate time to learning any of it before anyone shouts "Donna Lee!"

Basically, if anyone has any suggestions about anything I could play, it'd be great :)

2. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    got a nice solo arrangement of "how deep is your love" by the bee gees but its not that long timewise....

WAs going to suggest bach but you've already mentioned him and beaten of jaco with a stick.

hmm....perhaps some Wooten? Norwegian Wood, clasical thump?

3. Yeah, I was tempted by Classical Thump, but again, it's just about not really liking the song all that much. I know I'm sounding all whiny by saying "Wah wah wah, I don't like it" but I just know that if I try and force myself to play it it won't sound as good... sorta. If you've got any Pastorius suggestions you can still tell me them, I'll try them and see how it goes...

If you've got other Bach numbers you can think of, let me know. I dig Cello Suite No.1, but was trying to see if there are any more out there which I could try.
  4. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    well obviously donna lee, perhaps portrait of tracey might be a little more challenging for you technically?

If you want this bee gees piece you can have it, i might even be eable to send it now if your still online?

rop me an email

dodge_bass@hotmail.com - msn

5. Hey Ian, if you're still around that'd be awesome. Just added you to EmEssEn.