1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would be a good setlist for an RHCP tribute band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jean Rodriguez, Jan 17, 2017.

1. I am talking with a bassist friend of mine about forming a Red Hot Chili Peppers tribute band to gig around bars in the are and also because they are one of our favourite bands. While speaking with him about the idea, we started wondering what a good setlist for gigs. Personally, I know the following songs by them:

-Dani California
    -Snow (Hey Oh)
    -By The Way
    -Scar Tissue
    -Otherside
    -Californication
    -Under The Bridge
    -Monarchy of Roses
    -The Adventures of Raindance Maggie
    -Meet Me at The Corner
    -This is The Place
    -Dosed
    -The Zephyr Song
    -Can't Stop
    -Soul to Squeeze
    -Charlie
    -Wet Sand
    -Tell Me Baby
    -Hard To Concentrate
    -The Getaway
    -Encore

Out of those, my friend knows seven, but that's okay because he is a fast learner, responsible and he's motivate to do this so I know that he won't give me any BS about not learning them. All of this being said, what do you guys think is a good setlist? Obviously, I need to learn a bunch more songs by them, but I want to get the perspective from people who are fans and what they would like to hear at an RHCP tribute show.

2. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    How about some older stuff like Higher Ground?

3. Ii was thinking that other older stuff like "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and "Give it Away"

Atshen likes this.
  4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Just find a list of their top 10 and start there.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  5. Ninevolt

Ninevolt

Nov 26, 2015
    +1 for higher ground.

How bout Jungleman?

6. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Absolutely nothing after Californication.

Green Heaven
    Out In LA
    Sir Psycho Sexy
    If You Have To Ask
    Power of Equality
    Breaking the Girl
    Give It Away
    Apache Rose Peacock
    Warped
    Aeroplane
    Suck My Kiss
    My Friends (off One Hot Minute)
    I Could Have Lied
    Around The World
    Parallel Universe

Atshen, Jimmy4string, RickyT and 4 others like this.
  7. This is a pretty good list. When I think of 'peppers' these are the songs I associate with. I would also add songs from 'Mother's Milk' to the list.
    - Subway to Venus
    - Taste the Pain
    - Magic Johnson
    ...etc
    And even older stuff like 'Catholic School Girls', 'Me and My Friends' were pretty rocking too. They were red hot back then. I guess it all depends on ya target audience.

8. This.

If you're playing for long-time hardcore fans, you can get away with just about anything.

But if you want to win the hearts and minds of the somewhat more casual fans and establish yourselves with more mainstream appeal (and the repeat invitations/referrals that go with it), lean on the hits baby, the hits. The stuff that got played in heavy rotation on radio and MTV.

Most trib acts are fortunate to get two sets max. That's around 30 songs. Thanks to RHCP maintaining their career into new generations, cull the best of the best most well-known songs spanning their entire catalog. Can't fail.

9. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You gotta have some stuff from Freakey Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Kun2112, MonetBass, mrwood4 and 5 others like this.
  10. What? No "Fight Like A Brave"?

...and +1000 on Higher Ground and Give It Away.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They best set list for any tribute band will resemble a Greatest Hits album for that band. Nobody wants to see an Eagles tribute band that doesn't do Hotel California or a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band that doesn't do Free Bird.

12. Higher Ground
    Give it Away
    Suck My Kiss

Those NEED to be on there - otherwise it's gonna be not good.....

13. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    It would never work cause the songs are so obscure and practically dated out of pop existence but almost anything off the first album I'd love to hear.

Don't do it. Fail written all over it. Can you imagine performing "Mommy where's Daddy"? :roflmao:

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Definitely need some older stuff in that list.

blindrabbit and dxb like this.
  15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    those are definitely songs i'd expect to hear from any RHCP tribute band.

16. this is reliant on what the local fans want
    start a poll on your FB pages & ask this same question

before you play Higher Ground, tell everyone you're playing the Stevie Wonder version, and then look at the surprised looks as they talk to each other about the fact that Stevie wrote it

MrLenny1 likes this.
  17. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    I think the key is to open with a few recognizable songs, and finish the set with a classic hit. For example

For authenticity, always start with a quick jam which leads into the first track

--Intro--
    Can't Stop
    Dani California
    I Like Dirt
    Higher Ground
    Suck My Kiss
    Me and My Friends
    Otherside
    Look Around
    Californication
    --Break--
    Throw Away Your Television
    Scar Tissue
    Under the Bridge
    She's Only 18
    Give It Away
    --end--

Obviously switch out some of the lesser known tracks if you play multiple shows and shorten or lengthen depending on the set

But this lets you hit the big songs, cover a lot of the albums/eras, and lets you vary up the styles a bit

For example, look at the set lists of the "Red Not Chili Peppers"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  18. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    I'd recommend RHCP songs......

hrodbert696 likes this.
  19. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    If you stuck with only their hits from radio play, you would have a complete show list easily. Like others have said, spread out the selection from across their whole history.

RedJag and electracoyote like this.
  20. I'm surprised no ones mentioned Love roller coaster - not as many people know that was the Chillis as know that song (I think). Cracking tune though! Any combination from BSSM, One hot minute and californication + only the more recent ones that were commercially successful. I'd go and see that set :)