1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would be better- an 8x10" or (2)18"x(2)8"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by myke.nytemare, Nov 10, 2006.

1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Really, wouldn't a 4x18 be cooler? It could have its own engine too.

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    EV had a 4x18 called the MTL4. 36" x 36", 263 lbs, 1600 watt.

OK seriously, I have a 1x15 + 2X10 rig wich is fine, but I also have a 1x18 + 4x10 wich is much richer in tone. I find the 18's to be much deeper than 15's, and sound good at medium low levels as well as driven. I have no Idea of what situation you would need 2 18's.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, the EV Manifold tech PA stuff...

I have an ERB friend who uses a true-subwoofer 218 cab, in conjunction with a standard 410 bass cab for the top - this is a biamped rig using the Rane DC24 to do the honors. It's an awesome high-impact solo rig or for when PA support is not realistic.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    keep in mind that with an 18", you need to stand some distance away from it to really hear the low end as the sound wave matures a good distance out.... not so great when you are standing next to it on stage.

JR

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    That too is WRONG. Sound waves act just like waves rippling out from where a stone has been dropped into a pond. The ripples do NOT appear without first having traveled outward. People who say this is not so have either been standing in a position of cancellation because of reflective bounceback, or have been playing to their torsos or kneecaps instead of their ears.

Place an ear next to a subwoofer that's crossed over at a low frequency and hear! That's a long waveform just as it is being emited from the stone that's been dropped into the pond.