1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would be better for a dirty channel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndrly, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Turn the gain up

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Use a ProCo RAT and bass EQ

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. I'm thinking that maybe I could have two amplifiers live (one clean, one dirty). But how should I do the dirty channel?

I'm thinking of two options.

a) Boost the gain

b) Connect a ProCo RAT and bass EQ

The first option could be good, because a lot of the time, the best distortion comes from the amplifier. But I've also got a nasty feeling (especially in the case of a valve amp) that this could shorten the amp's lifespan.

The second option would probably be good too. Justin Chancellor does it. He's cool.

2. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    What kind of amp? Through what kind of speaker?

3. I'm talking about in general, but I think I'm most interested in Ashdown.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you get an amp with a tube pre, you can boost that but it may lead to the power stage clipping. Your best bet (IMO) would be to get a Traynor YBA 200 or some sort of low power tube amp and boost the **** out of it.

5. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    The RAT plus an EQ would work but you can just get a Sansamp bass driver and it would be just as effective and, in my opinion, better. For option a) boosting the gain has always been a personal favorite but you may wanna boost your midrange and treble as well. This helps to bring out more harmonic content so your tone doesn't sound like mud.

And if you choose to stick with your amp's natural distortion, the only real concern would be if you had a tube power section. Hybrid heads and tube pre/ss power modular rigs nowadays can give ya years of life and consistent tone without the worry of having to replace power tubes constantly. And the sound, to me, isn't all that different.

EDIT: and just to give you an idea to let you know that it's "OK" - I use an Aguilar DB659 tube preamp with a Mackie 1400i solid state power amp (Aguilar S210 and GS212 cabinets). My active bass (Spector) is fed into the passive jack, Gain is @ 3:30, treble is @ 1:30, bright switch on, mid @ 1:30, bass @ 12:00, deep switch on. I boost the bass to about 1:00 on the Spector and treble is left flat. It's punchy, growly, and meaty overdrive - if I had to pick 3 describers. And I've never had issues with tubes blowing or with the power amp clipping or anything of the sort. Having decent equipment does help, but isn't necessary.

And if you're talking about J.C.'s tone, you'll want to boost your midrange and treble anyways. Hope that helps.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Crank that gain baby. I love Tube OD.