Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would be better for an outor gig?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 19, 2004.

1. would a 4x10 alone be good for an outdor gig, or a 2x12, or possibly a 4x10 and another cab a 15 or a 2x12?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Outdoor gigs the more speakers you have the better. Having two cabs like a pair of 2-10s is better than using one 4-10 because you can split them across the stage.

3. cliffemall

cliffemall

Dec 8, 2003
    i totally hear your problem there bro...my band plays a lot of outdoor gigs and my bass needs to cut through since my style is similar to flea meets jaco...so what i do is 2 4x10's and my 15 (that i borrow) dead center. The thing you need to remember is, in my opinion is that you wanna make those 4x10's angle in slightly. Try to imagine a line comming out of each on the in-side, you want to have the line to cross just past the estimated back of the audience. This prevents standing waves and just general muddiness. Keep in mind that the 15" is puttin out slightly lower frequencies than your others so keeping it in the middle will give the best bang. But keep in mind that thought for your 2x10's same idea different speakers. If your just buying, id recomend a 15 inch if you play ANY rock because itll just give you more depth in my opinion. But if this is for a church or just a mellow band you dont need to go into this much detail because your not trying to lay it down to 500 people... back in the day, at my High Schools battle of the bands we had 300 people and i was using a 300 watt 4x10 set-up and they heard MORE than enough. Loud is good, but dont kill em with a wall of sound aka MUD!

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It depends on the gig. All outdoor gigs are not alike. If you're playing in a back yard, a smallish amp will be fine. If you're playing in a park, it's time to drag out the subs. It depends how far "out there" you need to get the bass. Remember that the low frequencies tend to travel through the ground, so the farther they need to go the more power (and bigger speakers) you'll need. What's your venue?