Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would be better for rockin blues-fretless or freted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Fretless bass

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Fretted bass

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. i currently have a fretless fender jazz bass and i do like the sound of it but i also like the sound of the freted basses. in your opinion what do you think is better for blues. i know it is ultimitaly my choice but in your experiences what would it be better for, stevie ray vaughan texas blues style of music and classic rock.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Fretted

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can't go wrong with a fretted Fender P or J :bassist: I don't t think I've ever seen a live blues band use a fretless electric bass.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It makes no difference. It's how you play it that counts. I've been exclusively fretless for the past 11 years playing rock/blues and I've been gigging steadily.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Exactly. It is more the player then the instrument. If you feel comfortable on fretless there is no need to switch. There are some things you can't do on a fretless(like slap), however fretless can be a more expressive instrument.

Edit: I meant to say that slap on a fretless will not sound quite the same as on a fretted bass.

6. Id totally go with a Fretted Fender Jazz Bass.

p.s. this is my 100th post!!!!!

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah, I didn't think of that :oops: From the audience a lined fretless might look like a fretted.

I've never see any people playing blues live with a DB :( I think the hassles of transporting them are just to much.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I see more players with uprights here in Europe than I ever saw in Canada. They also drive smaller cars. Go figure. :D

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think the "original" blues basslines were played on upright because the electric bass did not exist in it's first from (not Precision bass) till the 30's. Not sure about the date though.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I agree with BMC.
    I've been Playing fretless in blues bands for 10 yrs.
    Fretted of fretless it makes no difference.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You should come to one of my blues gigs then :cool:

Actually there are a LOT of upright guys playing blues these days, there's been a huge revival of interest in it over the last 10 years especially among players into the "West Coast" sound.

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I do it all the time. I find the fretless to be addicting. It's difficult for me to go back to playing fretted if I've been using the frettless for a long time.

But as someone mentioned earlier, it doesn't really matter. It's more a matter of what you're playing musically than the type of bass you play it on.

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That is such a thing with me as well. About 4 years ago, I thought I should have a fretted bass and bought one. Sold it. Another couple of years passed and I thought I should break down and have one, so I bought another. It's there. I do use it but very rarely. My fretless basses just speak to me. I look at that blank neck and it it's on open canvas waiting to be painted on.

Learning fretless is easier than you may think. Just 4-6 weeks of commitment and you're set. Keep in mind that 6 year olds play violin.

In terms of tone, you can set up for mwah or not set up for mwah. I have been gigging steadily for the past ten years with fretless basses playing classic rock and blues. It has never been a limiting thing for me.

Funny Onyx that you mention your issue. I'm exactly the same.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Fretless is something to toy with,,, in Rock & Blues... Your main will always be Fretted...

15. P-bass four string fretted.

That's a blues bass.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Pretty narrow point of view. Should the fretted bass be a specific color as well?

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Only those we'll let YOU touch... YOURS will be flaming pink. Anyone else is welcome to select whatever they want.

Its like this, you can take a washtub & a broomstick, w/ a couple of pieces of twine... By the same token, he can use a custom fretless conklin 8-stringer...

4-string fretted basses are the mainstay of that genre...

18. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan

Something I will never understand is how someone can insist that a specific type of music cannot be played on certain instruments. In the last 30 years some absolutely amazing things have been done on a fretless. I would even go so far as to say that after Jaco Pastorius, one thing that should be painfully obvious, is that ANYTHING can be done of frettless. Granted, the overwhelming majority of rock/blues has been on fretted, but, that's not to say that it can't be done. Some of us have been doing it for years and the world hasn't ground to a halt because of it.

19. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

How about asking the band or people in the audience who you respect which they prefer? Always worked for me.....

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

Is everyone taking crazy pills? Is this "Kick Hack in the balls day" or what?

Jaco is Jaco... Granted, He raised the bar... Then, there's the rest of us, we live in reality. Or at least I do.

In his application, what I originally stated is correct... If you wanna do blues gigs on your fretless... GREAT! Have fun, enjoy it... I'd love to hear it! I'm sure there are folks who can make it sound great!

Blues folks are VERY VERY traditional... BB King has been doing blues the same way for HOW MANY years now? Now THAT guy's blue LEGEND...

BTW, where is Irrmyr & how do you pronounce it?