Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would be better for someone who plays heavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flury, May 31, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    A Fender P or J? I see all these punk bands going nuts on their P basses and they still get a nice clean punch coming from their amps. Are they just less sensitive ot heavy play than a jazz would be?

2. um almost any bass will sound bad when you pick very hard or go crazy on it , when you see punk bass players going crazy it is usually in a MTV video wich means your not hearing how he really plays . You could try using ligther picks and controlling your picking so you hit the strings with just the tip of your pick .

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Alot of metal bassists like soapbars...that's pretty much all I can think of.

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I think an amp that gives you a lot of headroom is more important than a P or J comparison.

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    alot of guys/gals in Jersey that I've played with mostly have Ps with an occasional Jazz. I myself use a MIA P with Basslines 1/4 pickup and DR nicklewound strings.