Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would be louder? euphonic or acme 1x10...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iloveloosey, May 19, 2002.

1. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    using a clarus head, which would be louder?

8 ohm euphonic cxl 1x10 with sensitivity of 103 dB

or

4 ohm acme low b-1 1x10 with sensitivity of 90 dB

hmmm.

help me make a decision here...

thanks!

2. The Euphonic Audio would be louder, by a long shot.

Mike

3. Ditto.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  5. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    that's what i figured.

so, to summarize, the spl number is the most important factor in getting loudness, right?

i figure the differance of 13dB is a lot, right? and that this more than compensates for the greater ohmage of the euphonic cabinet, right?

6. Well, let's put it this way: Most solid state amps put out a bit more into 4 ohms than into 8 ohms. The maximum difference would be twice as much, but most don't increase so much--the Clarus puts out 120 watts into 8 ohms, and 200 watts into 4 ohms.

On the other hand, it takes twice as much power to increase the volume by 3dB, and 10 times as much power to increase the volume by 10dB. So a difference of 13dB in efficiency (theoretically) represents something like 20x more power to get the same volume out of the Acme as the EA. In real life, it's probably not so simple, but clearly the EA puts out more volume with less power.

If you want personal experience, I had an easier time getting enough volume out of my old 8-ohm EA VL-110 (which is less efficient than the new CXL-110) than I did out of my 4-ohm Acme B2 with the same rig.
    Mike

7. To put things into perspective, to get a 10db increase you must apply 10x the power. Therefore, a speaker rated at 90db would need 1000 watts to be as loud as a 100db speaker driven with 100 watts.

8. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    that just about answers it!