1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would be my 1st effect/device?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by THany, Sep 21, 2019.

1. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Hi there
    I have only started playing.
    I dont really like any effects, I just want a clear, clean sound. There are so many effects/gear descriptions, and its too complicated for me.
    I like it simple :)
    I have mentioned in another forum that for some reason I like the sound of my bass more thriugh the earphones when pluged to vox amplug and someone sayed its maybe due to a cleaner sound that is coused by maybe a compression?
    So... you think its maybe a vompression that Im after?
    Afain, not looking at the moment gor any effects that changes the bass sound, but more like an effect thst brings out the best of the natural bass sound, if that make any sence...
    Thank and have a great day.
    Talya

BOOG likes this.
  2. Tuner

PeterH, TheDayMan, roberts67 and 15 others like this.
  3. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Is that a joke?
    Tuner is a different thing. Has nothing to do with my question

BOOG likes this.
  4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Sounds like you should experiment with compression, EQ, and high/low pass filters. Those have the power to enhance your natural bass tone without significantly altering it. Amp simulator pedals can do that, too. Also, low-gain overdrive.

joeypee, HolmeBass and Iristone like this.
  5. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Thank you very much.
    You think the zoom b3 can be good? I understad you can also record with it
    Or is there anything simplier, could you point me in a direction? Of what I should lookfor? In terms of names? Thanks

BazzaBass likes this.
  6. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    You're very welcome!

Answering your question is tough, because I'm purely a home studio guy; I don't play live, so I don't have to worry about getting the sound right for different venues. I hope others will weigh in on their favorites..

EDIT:
    For recording, I really like my Korg AX3B.

7. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Ok, I understand... but really was talking about recording at home. I dont perform, ans dont intent to :)

8. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Oh, I see...I had a Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp EQ pedal that was a very versatile tone shaper. That might be a good place to start. There's also a pedal called the Southampton Ictineo that I haven't tried, but it's very well-liked around here. There are a lot of good choices out there; it all depends on the sound you're looking for. Good luck!:thumbsup:

THany likes this.
  9. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Ok thanks a lot! :)

FilterFunk likes this.
  10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you are just starting out, then keeping it simple is what you should do. You should be focusing on your left and right hand technique, as well as basic music theory (e.g, scales, chord construction and arpeggios). Don't worry about effects until you discover that you need them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  11. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Yes, I understand. Thank you.

12. Not a joke. If you haven't bought anything else, start with a tuner. That way, it's on your board from the beginning and no matter what else you put down, you'll never have to carve out space for one later. Secondly, effecting an out of tune instrument is the worst.

Sorry if practicality isn't your thing. But you asked for opinions on your first pedal. A tuner is the ideal place to start.

13. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Its not that is " isnt my thing" I have a tuner, I was asking about something else. Thanks

FilterFunk and BOOG like this.
  14. Tuner isn’t a joke at all. Most important effect pedal you can own. The sonic trickery of playing the notes at the proper pitch. And most will mute your bass when engaged—two effects in one.

Second pedal: compressor.

Charlzm, TerenceE, bfields and 2 others like this.
  15. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    I just want to emphesize that it all started when I asked in the other forum what can I do to get my fender rumble v3 40 to sound like my vox amplug to my ears!

16. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Thanks!!! I think the compressor is what my ears are looking for

17. That would have been important information to have up front. If you like the sound of your Vox amplug, you may want to start with an EQ pedal so you can fine tune tone stack.

18. THany

THany

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Thanks. I will look in to it.
    And tbh, I dont use m tuner. I like tuning by ear. Thank God, I have a very good ear, and I like to keep on training them

FilterFunk and bass-icly me like this.
  19. Tuning by ear is fine at home. I use the tuner at rehearsals and gigs.

HolmeBass and bfields like this.
  20. Thanks for posting this. Idon't have a clue about effects, but my Crate has an eq which enhances the range of tones I can create.

So I guess +1 for the eq. 20190830_160848.

+1 for good ears.

FilterFunk and THany like this.