What would be some good songs to learn by ear?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by the_majik_bum, Jan 27, 2002.

1. the_majik_bum

Jan 27, 2002
    I hear ppl say that its really helpful and great in learning bass to forget tabs and learn by ear. Well thats what i wanna do because im fed up with tabs. I want to start very very slow though since i wasn't blessed with an ear for music. What would be some really easy songs that don't invole any detuning and would be able to hear the bass line really good that i could try and learn by ear?

MR. bum:D
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What kind of music do you like? Any bands? Learn anything by them.
  3. the_majik_bum

Jan 27, 2002
    well, i really like metal, but i just started listening to funk and jazz, but i don't really know any bands, the thing is, the bands i do already kno about, ive already used tabs to learn there songs, so its not really any use in trying to learn them by ear, lol, but it doesn't really matter what kind of music, just some kind that can evolve my ear better,

MR. bum:D
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you are into punk most Blink 182 (THERES THAT BAD WORD) songs are easy to figure out because they are only 4 notes.

Good Luck;):D
  5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You should start off simple. If you like bad metal give 'Fade' by Staind a try. Reeeeeeeally easy stuff.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I highly recommend songs in the blues form. Artists like: BB King, John Lee Hooker, Dr. John, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Aretha Franklin's earlier work. Do you like any of the music from this genre?
  7. anything by the police is good stuff to learn by ear. Its what I started on. That and janes addiction. The lines are easy, but compliment the music really well.
  8. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Everything you hear!

One fun thing to do: If you're playing in front of your TV, learn the jingles from commercials or the theme songs of the shows you're watching.

Another thing: Try to sing the part before you play it. Guarantee you'll learn it quicker. There's a great article in Bassplayer about that this month.
  9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    good songs are most MXPX songs(punk) or blink 182 is the easiest.try "all the small things".that was one of my first songs to learn by ear,and it didnt take me too long.Just try to figure out the first note,and then do process of elimination.just try every note close to it since blink tunes use mostly just E and A string and 1-5 frets.have fun,and every time try something harder!

i was gonna say metallica but you can never hear the bass:(

Oh you could try some Danzig songs!Danzig is my favorite metal/punk/hard rock band.Try the song "twist of cain"
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd say that about 80% of the songs you hear on the radio are pretty easy to figure out.