1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would be the bennefits of a MM style Quadcoil vs a MM style triplecoil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassman126, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Bassman126

Bassman126 Guest

Mar 25, 2008
    Hey everyone, I am debating about having Tom Clement build me a Bass and am having a hard time deciding which pickups to get. For my pickups I really like the MM style pickups. Nordstrand the brand that I am looking into has a triplecoil and a quadcoil design and I really don't know the difference between the two. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks ~ James

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's just two different ways to get a single coil tone with no hum.

The triple coil uses a dummy coil, and the quad coil splits the two halves like a P bass. The quad coil might have a stronger tone when in split mode than the dummy coil setup, but it depends on the design on the pickup.

3. I'm having Tom build me a bass, too!

the triple coil is really just designed to be an Ernie Ball replacement while the quad coil can be wired into a few different configurations. the quad is also less expensive.

:bassist:

4. Bassman126

Bassman126 Guest

Mar 25, 2008
    anyone else?

5. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I would recomend the Quad coil design over the triple coil....A little more versitile & dead quiet in single coil operation....For some, more options are bad. For me, though.....I like having options. Check out Delano too.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Stew would know he is the man!

7. ha ha ha ha ha!!!

me?

the Man?

ha ha ha ha ha!!!

thanks for the vote of confidence, sir, but I am just *a* man. and a silly one at that.

;)

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    :D Your bloodwood board is sanded to 220 and ready to roll!