Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would be the best 5 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redhawk, Oct 16, 2005.

1. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    What would be the best 5 string bass I could get for around $500? I plan on buying a new bass this Saturday because there is this, buy a guitar get another for a penny, deal at a music store and so my friend and I are each going to pay half. I was kind of leaning towards the Peavey Grind bass, but what do you guys think would be best?

2. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Obviously there are a few questions to be answered about your preferences, the type of music you play, etc., etc. In that price range, new, I've been impressed with the Schecter basses. You may also be able to get into a Yamaha BB series bass at that level.

3. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    I will be playing Metal and Rock, probably more metal though.

4. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin

If you can find this Schecter, it would be worth checking out.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    All the suggestions in the world won't be worth a spit if the store doesn't stock what we're pitching. ;) Is it a local mom and pop store, or is it a Sam Ash/Guitar Center?

6. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005

It is called Mid Michigan Music, it is a fairly big chain of stores and they carry name brand stuff. Not nearly as big as guitar center or something, but not some crappy store. I'm just not sure if they carry shecter and stuff, I know they have the Peavey grind bass so that is one of the reasons I was leaning towards that.

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I second the Yamaha BB 5 string.
    Tried them recently and am totally impressed
    Yamaha is great value and very cool :bassist: