1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would be the best bass to choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod2013, Jun 1, 2012.

1. BassGod2013

BassGod2013

Jan 14, 2012
    I'm in a high school jazz bad, and i'm looking at getting a new axe. I currently use a squier classic vibe jazz bass. I was thinking over the summer, getting a 50s precision bass. Am i right that if you wanted the most nostalgic jazz band sound, you'd gothe 50's precision bass?

now here's the question

go for the cheaper squier classic vibe 50's precision bass
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-precision-50s-bass-guitar

or the fender sting signature precision bass
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-sting-signature-precision-bass

I definately want a bass that looks this way with the single coil pickup and everything.
    i am just not sure what the difference would be between these two and if its worth saving up for the sting bass.

2. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    I can appreciate your desire to get a bass that looks as vintage as possible, but this is not a practical instrument to own.

The famous people who own a bass with this configuration own a lot of other basses with more broad tone palettes.

Since that single coil bass was only available for a relatively short period of time and most people used string basses then in jazz, getting this type of bass will not get you close to a jazz sound since more serious bassists in that era (not in jazz, since most were using string basses) got the P-bass with a humbucker in it. This is my opinion only.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I recommend you get a P-Bass with a humbucker in it, like most modern, vintage, and vintage reissue P-basses have. Or, of course, a Fender Jazz.

LL

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Are you talking a small combo or a full on concert band sized jazz band? I am thinking the Jazz Bass might be better suited to that situation (big or small band).

4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    This should help a lot:

Ed Friedland compares 3 of the Classic Vibe basses against their higher end Fender equivalents.

5. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    My suggestion is to save your money and maybe get an American Standard P or J down the road. Or, maybe allocate the funds to a nicer amp depending on what you have.

Your current bass is very nice and will serve you well for a few years. If you want the single coil neck tone just roll off the bridge pickup on your CV.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You might also want to consider a used MusicMan Sterling or Sterling by MusicMan (not to be confused with the Sterling model of bass), which is their lower priced counterparts (much like Fender versus Squire or Gibson versus Epiphone)

SB14

It might be nice to have an active bass to fill out the sound a bit behind a big band.

7. JetMac

JetMac

Jun 1, 2012
    South Georgia
    My first bass I learned on was the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz BassĀ®. Back then it was a nice bass. Had good action, no fret buzz, the neck was smooth. It was a really heavy bass though, after about 20 minutes of playing it, it felt like my shoulder was gonna give out. People use to talk crap on it though cause it wasn't a Fender, it didn't matter though the sound was still good. Was playing out of an old orange amp, think it was 150watts had two 12's and a horn. Above the low E, the guitar had that nifty little thumb block where you could place your thumb while plucking the strings. I played on that bass back in 1998, so back in the day I thought it was pretty bad ass.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're on a tight budget, check out sx basses. they make awesome fender clones at super affordable prices. they're only available at rondo music. here's the link.

www.rondomusic.com

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope, you'd get an upright ;)

I think it is, thought the Squiers aren't bad, either. Your Jazz is perfectly fine for doing what you want, but I dig the sentiment of wanting an old school looking bass like a 50's style Precision. I disagree with those who believe you need a bass with a big tonal palette, BTW. You need a bass that makes you want to play, and your music will stand on how you play, not what bass you play or how many knobs and pickups it has.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I think you have the right bass already based on what and where you're playing. A Jazz Bass has a lot more tonal variation to it than a PBass. Personally I think you look to the PBass more for a very heavy bottom and low mids that punch through in a rock band where you're competing with louder guitars, drums and keys. That's not the 50's Jazz tonality you're looking for.

As for getting one of those 50's style PBasses I'd ask you if you were happy with your CV Jazz. If you are then buy the Squier. All of the basses in that CV line are very good instruments. If you're not happy with it look at the Fender but don't expect a huge difference between them. The quality level of the CV Basses is great.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Seems to be some kinda relationship there. :eek:

Seems to me you already have the bass you need. Maybe not the one you want.

What kind of amp are you using?

With the bass full open, possibly cutting the amps' bass down, boosting the mids a bit and rolling off the treble may give you the tone you need. Also try turning down the volume on each pickup as test. Or may just using one or the other pickups.

Lots of tonal variations to try before spending your hard earned cash on a new bass.

+1 on saving your money for school.

12. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    +1 :bassist:

pretty sure the Vintage Modified Squiers have only been around for 4-5years...

+1