Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would be the best bass to start with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassfrog, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Bassfrog

Bassfrog

Jun 2, 2002
    A friend of mine will buy a bass within a few weeks.
    What kind of bassguitar whoud you recommend to start with? It must be a value for money bass

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I hate to say it (I'm not a Fender lover), but - MIM Fender Jazz.

MIM = Made In Mexico
    MIJ = Made In Japan
    MIA = Made In America

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think a 1st bass should be very simple, without any bells & whistles.
    It should have a quality sound and not be too easy to play.
    A Made in Mexico Fender Pbass looks like the perfect beast to me.
    Essex copies from www.rondomusic.com are nice for the money too.

4. vinnym

vinnym

Jul 10, 2002
    some people don't liek it, but I personally think it is the starter bass on the market. for me atleast, I think everyone should go to a guitar center or such and try out the basses. I think a bass has to kinda work with you

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mexican Fender Jazz or Precision-- simple, reliable, and sound good for ~$375? or whatever it is these days.

6. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    :rolleyes: i started with a warwick thumb 4 bolt-on. i did this because i would have it for the rest of my life. and since i bought it myself, i dont like wasting money buying something of a lesser breed, and then buying something good after the fact. i mean, its just the way i see it...so please dont be offended. if it is possible, buy something you know you will have for a long time, and something you know you will enjoy, and something you can grow and expand with, instead of <s>running into a concrete wall</s> (i retract that previous controversial statement.) step forward and make an investment. to me, if you cant afford anything decent, then either wait, or just figure it out yourself.

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Aside from Essex you may also wanna try an OLP Stingray (check Musiciansfriend.com) oh and stay away from Rogue basses and amps... Oh and if he looks there he'll see a Rogue starter pack... stay away from that too.

8. If money is really an issue how bout an ibanez sound range bass? Maybe the sr200. I know heaps of people that have started out on those.

-wilks

9. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    stop_drop_pop33 -

That's great that you were able to afford a pro quality axe as a starter, and it's even better that you've stuck with it. Not all folks are in your situation, though.

As for "hitting a concrete wall" when you realize that your instrument is Made in Mexico, well, that's just silly. MIM Fenders are a great deal for the price, and they've gotten a lot nicer than when they first came out. Those MIM Fenders will play great, and lots of excellent players shred on them. They certainly won't hold a player back. You could argue that the fat neck of a Warwick would hold back a new player more than the thinner neck of a MIM Jazz.

That said, I still think that the best starter instruments are used. That way, if your taste changes, or if you feel like you're "hitting a concrete wall," you can sell your instrument with minimal loss.

I just sold a nice MIM Pbass with Badass II bridge for $150, which is how much I paid for it in the first place. A great deal for me, and for the buyer.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is one of the more unenlightened posts I have read today. Good job.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree - looks like a guaranteed case of S.K.S.B.S syndrome to me.

let me add my vote to the "mim jazz or p-bass" crowd. great instruments for the price, and they actually _do_ hold up pretty well.

12. Ditto - MIM P Bass or Jazz

13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm with the MIM Fender crowd. They're great for the price and can be easily upgraded with new pups, hardware, neck etc. I would suggest the MIM J simply because it is more versatile than the P and the neck is not as wide.

14. "You could argue that the fat neck of a Warwick would hold back a new player more than the thinner neck of a MIM Jazz. "
    ---stop-drop-pop33

Notice that I am not one to do the quote thing, but the above has to be an obvious demonstration of ignorance and arrogance. Perhaps SDP believes his ovangkol neck to be wider than a Fender Jazz, but the fact is Warwick uses J-style string spacing at the nut and a similar neckwidth all the way down. The Warwick's radius is flatter, however. Having owned both ovangkol and wenge-necked Warwicks, I find myself liking the speed of the wenge with medium frets as opposed to the ovangkol with jumbos.
    As for the topic at hand, it's simple. While bass playing has changed a lot since 1957, the basic P-bass has not. What has been the best starter bass for generations previous remains so today, expecially since most aftermarket products seem to be geared towards the two classic Fender types. Therefore, my advice is simple: Get a P-bass. Another good option would be the P-bass special (not the deluxe, the special), which has the thinner J neck and a J pickup at the briddge. The Squier variant is certainly attractively priced at $220 (Musician's Friend), but at $450 the Fender version will have better resale value.

15. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Well, plankspanker, I wrote that line, not "stop_drop_pop33".

The string spacing may be the same on the Warwick as a Jazz, but the anterior-posterior diameter certainly feels larger to my hands.

As for an obvious demonstration of ignorance and arrogance, you'll have to help me see it. I thought (and still do) think that it's a reasonable opinion. Have I owned a Warwick? No. Why? Because I don't really dig the necks. Have I played a Warwick? Sure! Don't we all try them out in stores? The wood is beautiful and the growl is great.

JT - what's SKSBS syndrome? Spoiled kid speaking BS?

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

arendjan, how much money can your friend afford to spend on a bass?

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, got it on first try. very clever you are :D

18. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    :oops: i am both embarrassed and appalled by my uneducated statements. please forgive me. :rolleyes:

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Samash.com has the Hartke bass and amp combo that got top billing in the 12/01 issue of BP's "Bass and Amp Starter Kit" shootout. It's $279, and has a baby Hartke 15-watt amp.