1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would be the best headphones to play the bass on ?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by nilorius, Apr 15, 2018.

1. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    What would be the best headphones to play the bass on ? I think the best ones are Beyerdynamic DT770

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not sure they're the "best" (that's purely subjective) but I love my AKG K240s.

BassChuck likes this.
  3. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I mean......through the mixer.

4. Agree on both accounts. The "best" is subjective and AKG's are good.
    I have to use my headphones daily. I live in a paper thin walled condo and all my woodshedding is done through headphones. I found my AKG headphones for $49 at Guitar Center. They were fairly decent and served their purpose but fell apart after a year of hard use. I upgraded to $149 Audio-Technica and they are great.
    Generally speaking, the more you pay, the better the quality.

5. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Could be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. FilTurd

FilTurd

Dec 13, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    I actually use VOX and as long as I don't bump everything up I really like the sounds. If I go past say 7 they start to distort

7. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    May be.

8. I recently had to ship my big amp out of my flat as a neighbour 2 doors / houses up was kicking up a stink,:bassist: even tho well turned down . Yeah it travels, bassier than a bassy thing. I now use a smaller 20w amp with JVC bass headphones. Big amp is now in a location where I can crank it up. Headphones work okay but nothing like the real thing. The big amp has no headphone socket and on the 20w the speaker is knackered anyway so worked out kind of okay. Laurence

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't really tried out different headphones to seriously compare them. I do most of my practicing through a mixer with a pair of Sennheiser HD100s, and am very happy with them.

10. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    another vote for K240's - super comfortable and great full-range sound. They go for $50 now, but used to be high end and cost over $100; as far as I can tell they are exactly the same. I've got a pair that's 20 years old still working great, but I go pretty easy on my gear...

I've been looking for something more portable but still with good sound. I've tried a few consumer grade phones that were way too bass heavy. Thinking I may try another old school studio standard, the Sony 7506 - the earpieces fold so they look like they would take up about half the space of my K240s. Would be interested to hear anyone else's experience with them.

ak56 likes this.
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I use Sony MDR-7506 and love them. Your bass sounds like it should and the cost is not crazy high. If my pair fails, I will probably just get another set.

ak56 and cavemanbass like this.
  12. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I'm very happy with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I have 2 of them.

ATH-M50x.

wizay likes this.
  13. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Another vote for atc m50x

NealBass likes this.
  14. FenderTuni

FenderTuni

Jan 30, 2012
    Philadelphia
    Do anyone feels like the bass sounds WAY better when running through a headset/headphone rather than the amp itself? I practice with a small 25wts Fender Rumble v3 and sounds ok, but when plugged into the headphones it is like a totally different animal!

15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    This is not about bass amps, but directly about headphones.

16. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Premiums, and I LOVE them. (example below of the ones I mean)

I also have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x. While I think the ATH-M50x are awesome headphones for the money, and I love my pair, I personally much prefer using the DT990s when playing bass. The difference for me is the open back design on the DT990s. I find them MUCH less fatiguing to wear over longer periods of time practicing with headphones compared to the ATH-M50x (which are closed back rather than open back). All that low frequency pounding your ears really feels better with the open design, at least to me. It just feels more natural and less overwhelming to me. More like playing through an actual amp. I've also found that they don't leak nearly as much sound out as I expected, which is a bonus.

Seriously though, sometimes I forget I have these things on. I also like being able to hear other things and feel less "pressure" on my head when I'm at home practicing.

Honestly, I've liked this pair so much that I'm curious to try a pair of DT 1990 Pros, though they are much more expensive.

Hope this helps! I can't stress the open design enough.. it really made a difference for me. Doesn't even necessarily have to be these Beyerdynamics, but I'd try out an open back pair for sure as an option.

maxresdefault.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    nilorius likes this.
  17. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Another 7506 user here. I've used them for years. Good, accurate sound. Not boomy like many consumer headpgones.

18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    DT990 would best, when i tried the them, all will sound perfect.

19. vgbassman

vgbassman Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2016
    NJ
    Try the Phil Jones headphones... they tend to recreate the bass amp sound better than most other cans... I have tried a few other headphones but the PJB headphones seem a tad but better... technically they are designed for this...

JakobT likes this.
  20. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I found the opposite. My cheapo Sennheiser 457s sound better and more natural.

Sennheiser HD457 Reviews :: Headphone Reviews