Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would be the best pedal to use....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billybo, Jan 18, 2003.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i have noticed when im playing at shows i cant hear my g string as loud as my other strings..but thats not the problem..i would like to know the best pedal i can use for a good sound....as of now i have a bass pre amp and a bass overdrive....i do a lot of slappin also..i have a fender squier 4 string....i have heard about equlizers..should i get one of those?im not lookin for sound efect pedals..just to get better sound...

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Pedals don't give you a good sound, often they give you a worse sound as they try to add their effects. Even by having them switched off, most of them degrade your tone.

If you are unhappy with your tone, look to your amp or bass. Any pedal used for this purpose is simply a bandaid covering a wound.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I would recomend the Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ.

4. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    im not lookin for an effect pedal..im lookin for a pedal that can give me a better sound..pedals with all low mid high, treble, tone, all that good stuff...

5. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    The Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ is your best bet. It's not a pedal, it's just a little unit that makes your bass sound better and works very well on cheaper basses. It's cheap, too.

6. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i have nothin agianst effects..i have a multi effect pedal..its just, im looking for a good sound now..i have had my fun with effects..i dont no any other forums about my situation..and i guess im not really lookin for a pedal..a unit, like you said, i have a agulair bass preamp now..i need to have somethin else to go along with it tho..so i guess i i will try the yamaha thing out...

7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Hey, I wasn't talking about your post, I was referring to Eric Moesle's post. You asked an honest effects related question and were respectful. Come back anytime! Oh yeah, you might want to run a forum search on the NE-1. It's been discussed before and there's some helpful info on it.

8. Sorry to delete a few posts from this thread but I could see where this silly argument was going.
    Eric, you never did say that effects were bad but merely said that they should not be used to cover up bad tone. I couldnt agree more. If you cant hear your G string than your bass and pickups are probably the problem but I will leave the post up in the effects forum for now since it seems that some people do have other solutions to make your sound "better".