Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would be the best to compliment a 4x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panic_striken, Jan 1, 2006.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I am looking into getting a Aguilar S410 cab. I hear they are lacking a little bit on the low end. So, here is my question, if it were your rig would you get a 2x12 or 1x15??? It would be an Aguilar GS cab.

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'd get a 1x15.

3. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Why???? Are the 12's not very different in bottom defintion than 10's??? Or is it a preference thing???

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    another 4x10.

the punch and slam would be most rockin'. :bassist:

5. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    Your looking for low end. You already have a great sound with the 4 10s for the mids and Highs. With a 15 it'll fill in the bottom so you can feel it in your feet and punchy 10s for anything else. I use 4 10s and 1 15 most the time. Ive tried it without the 15 many times and I'm never satisfied with only the 4 10. I always end up pluging in the 15.

like always check your minimum ohms your amp can handle. before buying.

6. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    No one ever answered my question about 12's. Are 12" speakers closer sounding to 10's or 15's??? I was really set on trying to run a Aguilar S410 & GS212 both 4 ohms. I have a Genz Benz GBE500H head that will push 525 watts @ 2 ohms all night. That is according to the tech department. I just want great low defintion without distortion. I only play a 4 banger, and drop D is as low as I'll go. So will the Aggie 212 gimme that good low defintion without a fuss??? Sorry, but I've always been a combo guy until recently, and I'm having to move up.............way up!!!! I also live over an hour away from the closest music shop so trial runs on cabs are hard to do for me. So, I look to my TB brethern for their expert advice :p

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like 12s, but I use 15s, and i'm not really sure how that happened. :eyebrow: But anyways, either will do, but the 2x12 will probably be louder.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO,

its easier to add more low end via a simple twist of a bass knob to add to a 4x10,

but its waaay harder to make a slower firing 1x15 punchier and more cutting w/ EQ alone.

:)

9. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    True. I am worried about the 4x10's getting distorted at higher volumes when I jack up the bass. We play alot of outdoor gigs in the spring/summer. So, we have to pump our stage volume to hear each other. If the 10's get distorted on stage they will be that way to the audience when mic'ed.

10. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    You'd be surprized by the capabilities of 10" drivers. I know I was. I always pictured them as being tinny and sounding like crap. So I got a 15" combo. I realized what everyone meant by "slow" speakers. I got a Warwick 410 and haven't regretted it since. I think they have just as much low end with more punch and articulate highs.

Just my $.02

11. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    4X10 and an 18 on bottom that's what I use 18's have a great tone and if you under power them just a bit you get a great distortion tone you need to be carful doing that but it does sound cool , but be very careful if you try this if your amp starts lighting up you are doing damage. I did it a few times but I miked the cab so I was not trying to keep up with the amps or drums I let the P.a and monitors do tht I just wanted the tone . I have only done that a few times any way go 4X10 with an 18

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Punctuation is your friend.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses

I own an Eden 410T and I've played several outdoor gigs with it. These times I've run through the PA just in case I wasn't loud enough, but sure enough everytime our sound guy cuts me completely out of the PA.

This Eden 410 can go plenty low, I just can't honestly see anyone needing more than a 410. IMO If you need more than that then you def. will have a PA that is capable of running a DI into. These 10's have never come close to distorting and I would think the same would be true with the Aguilar.

Also IMO I would save the cash you are wanting to spend on another cabinet and invest in a larger amp. Headroom is your friend. I got a preamp/power amp setup for around $600 including rackmount case and it pushes 600 watts into 8 ohms bridged and 800 watts into 4 ohms bridged. A larger amp with more wattage is a lot easier to haul around than a bunch of extra cabinets.

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    As a former owner of the S410, IMO it is not lacking in low end...it's lacking some mids though. I'd suggest a GS210 or 410 way before the 212 or 115. If nothing else, listen to the 410 first before you decide what you want...you might be surprised.

Marshall

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This appears to be the case of alot of Aguilar cabs, that they've got a mid scoop. Is this true?

16. Adding another cab will add some low end capability by adding cone area. Whether its a 15, another 4x10, doesn't matter much compared to the change accomplished with getting a 2nd cab.

Remember, 2 4x10's gives you 8x10's. Anybody claiming the Ampeg 8x10's lack bottom end?

Randy

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I am currently running a 2 x 10" and a 1 x 15" cab. The 15" did help in filling out the bottom.

I have never tried any cabs with 12"s but have also been curious. They seem to be more popular these days as more companies are offering them.

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That's my experience...it's a gorgeous warm sound, just a bit shy in the mids.

m

19. Get one or more Tuba 30 bass horns.

A T30 bass horn will fill in the bottom that is currently unoccupied by your 4x10.

Playing outdoors is the most strenuous undertaking for your rig, and it needs all the help it can get. Use bass horns, or a whole bunch of speakers.

20. the difference in the magnet weight for the 10" aguilar s line v. the aguilar gs line, so it's only natural you'll have a wonderful sounding but lite on the low bass end speaker cab. re: if you go 15" always go for the best cabinet you can buy and this is more critical w/single 15" cabs-lots of blown 15 inchers that couldn't handle the lowender's demands.