What would be the best way to sell a boutique bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzkuma, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I have had a Fodera for a few years already which I dont play anymore. Tried passively selling it by posting in classifieds but have not had much luck and with my membership expired im not sure if I should try to sell it there again.
    Would anyone recommend other ways I could sell a high end boutique bass? I thought about selling it through a dealer on consignment but im also not sure where I should go for that either. Or would it be best to just keep trying with the classifieds?

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Reverb.com? Best bet is probably here though. Maybe you were asking too much?

CTBassGuy likes this.
  3. Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Is reverb generally a good place for gear that expensive? I usually sell/buy stuff there but its smaller things. Ill check out what Fodera listings they have.
    I understand it takes a while to sell something that costs this much, just curious to see if anyone has suggestions on how to go about it.

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Yes.

James Collins likes this.
  5. Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    thanks, ill give it a try then. Managed to build a pretty good feedback selling cheaper stuff.

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    The only thing about Reverb is not knowing who you're selling to. TB classifieds generally feel like you're buying from/ selling to a friend's cousin, but there's a number of threads about people selling to and buying from idiots on Reverb, eBay, and Craigslist. If it were me, I would renew my TB supporting membership and list it here as well as Reverb.

7. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Sell it here.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If the brand has a user group you would probably do better trying to sell it there. You’d be selling to potential buyers who know more about what you are trying to sell and are more knowledgeable about the value. Alembic and Music Man both have user groups supported by the company where product changes hands amongst members. That’s the other thing. You get to “cyber-know” a lot of the more active members, so there is more of a trust issue. Not sure if Fodera has such a thing.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Talkbass or Reverb.

10. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    If it is the bass I'm thinking of, it is a great bass. The problem is that depreciation can be pretty horrific. The lower the price, the quicker it will sell, but final price may be less than you're hoping or expecting. Also Reverb will take a cut, Paypal will take a cut, and shipping will be another variable. The good thing is that if you ship through Reverb you'll pay less than if you went to a UPS store.

11. Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    I have not been very active in selling it, still had a lot of doubts about it but I made up my mind recently so im just trying to find out what my best options would be for now. Ill probably get the membership again and post in classifieds and try Reverb too. I had no idea people bought boutique basses there, I thought Reverb was mostly for smaller gear.

12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I sold a fairly expensive vintage pedal on Reverb with no problems at all.
    Buyer messaged me within an hour or so of posting the ad, sale was hassle free.
    Buyer turned out to be a tech for a very famous band.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021